3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Larger throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 12:23 PM
MoparJP
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Larger throttle body

Running a 2003 Ram RCSB with a 5.7, AEM intake, flowmaster exhaust, superchips 91 tune. Would an aftermarket 85 or 90mm throttle body be a good addition for power and would it work adequately or better with my existing canned superchips tune?

Old 09-07-2014, 04:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It would if you free'd up the exhaust. Increasing air in doesn't do much good if you don't increase the rate at which it can leave the cylinders. Headers, especially long tubes that pull (scavenge) exhaust gases, would do wonders. You would also need to ditch the factory scrunched down Y pipe and the ultra restrictive chambered Flowmaster muffler.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:07 AM
cd36c
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe in larger Throttle Bodies unless you are pushing serious power. The point of a throttle body is to restrict air flow 95% of the time unless you are driving around at WOT all day. I think a larger TB may give the appearance of more power, as it will flow more at the same throttle position as the stock TB, but you can get the same affect by just opening the stock TB more with your right foot. Until you have ran out of airflow with your TB at WOT, you probably don't need a larger TB.

If I had to guess you probably wouldn't be at the point of needing a larger TB until after you do th exhaust work mentioned, and some work to the heads and intake manifold.

Quick Reply: Larger throttle body