3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'08 1500 lower ball joint replace

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:19 AM
nuramficiando
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 1500 lower ball joint replace

Okay guys here I go again. Getting ready to replace the lower ball joint on this truck I bought. '08 1500 crew cab, Saw a couple of videos on YouTube. They show drilling/cutting out the rivets and replacing the whole joint assembly not just the ball joint. Looking at the oem one on the truck, it appears the ball joint was flanged slightly on the top. Will the press tool get it out or do I need to remove the lower arm and carry it to a machine shop?

Old 09-08-2014, 07:20 AM
nuramficiando

Oh yeah, and 4.7L flex ,if it makes a difference.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:12 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by nuramficiando
Okay guys here I go again. Getting ready to replace the lower ball joint on this truck I bought. '08 1500 crew cab, Saw a couple of videos on YouTube. They show drilling/cutting out the rivets and replacing the whole joint assembly not just the ball joint. Looking at the oem one on the truck, it appears the ball joint was flanged slightly on the top. Will the press tool get it out or do I need to remove the lower arm and carry it to a machine shop?
Most I've seen are either pressed in or riveted in. If it's press in, you will need a ball joint press, if it's riveted in, just drill out the rivets and remove the ball joint. From the searches I've done for 2008 Ram ball joints, they are pressed in.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:06 AM
nuramficiando

All info I had seen other than the youtube vid led me to believe they're pressed also, but wanted to see if there was anyone who had Been there, done that.
Thanks

Old 09-08-2014, 10:59 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just did my prior truck ('04) about six months ago and they were pressed. Bought Moog lowers WITH A ZIRC.
Also, when you go to do the uppers, unless they changed between '04 & '08, you'll have to do the entire control arm. I also went with Moog which not only have a zirc, but they can be removed without having to do the entire control arm in the future...

Old 09-08-2014, 11:05 AM
cd36c
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 05 was pressed in too, I think GM uses alot of riveted in joints, but Dodge is alot of pressed in, unless the newer ones changed.

To do the lowers on a 4x4 you'll basically need to tear apart the whole suspension, remove the steering knuckle and set the half shaft out of the way. THen you can get access to the ball joint to press it out/in. Put the new ones in the freezer and they'll slide in alot easier.

Also, the factory ball joint is peened at the top so you may either need to grind off the indents or tap them with a hammber and chisel so it will slide out easier.

It is really a pretty easy job, just need to take everything apart to get to it, but that is really only 4 bolts (upper BJ, lower BJ, Spindle Nut, TIe Rod End). While you are in there check everything else for play and replace as needed, so you only need to get one alignment.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:50 PM
nuramficiando

Appreciate it. Just bought this truck a week or so ago. It appears all the owners did was change the tires, oil & filters, so says the car fax. oh, and wiper blades once and all this was dealer service. So i've already bought all the ball joints, hub bearing assys, brake rotors and pads ( all 4), tie rod ends, shocks and radiator, water pump and t stat. Will have to do the pinion seal too but focusing on the safety/survivabilty and preserving the 164K engine for now.

Quick Reply: '08 1500 lower ball joint replace