3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil leak..but from where?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Fl2500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak..but from where?

Abbreviated story:
2003 5.7 4x4. Replaced motor, runs great except it was leaking oil from the bell housing area pretty bad. As it turns out I had forgotten to apply black RTV to the 4 points required. Today I took the pan off, new gasket assembly, black RTV and back together it went. Well... same thing.. if idling it drips a tablespoon or more every 5 minutes so it is significant.

I looked all over, my best guess is that it is coming out of the dipstick tube insertion point somehow and running over the side of the block and down to the rear of the oil pan? I have the inspection plate off, and if it was the rear main it would be pretty obvious right? There is no oil slung all over the TC.

There are a few pictures to help anyone who may be able to give some advice, the area in red is where the oil seems to be traveling along. Any and all assistance very appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak..but from where?-2.jpg  
Old 09-11-2014, 06:14 AM
abarmby
Champion

To the OP.
Have you also made sure that you've put a dab of sealer on the front oil pan face, where it meets the timing chain cover?
Al.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Fl2500
Amateur

Thank you. I put black RTV on 4 points (2x where the front cover meets the block and 2x where the rear main assembly meets the block), was there a 5th location?

Old 09-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Fl2500
Amateur

Ok, so update time:

I checked that the oil was not coming from the front main. Then I added UV Dye and let it run for 15 minutes (and inspected while running). All of the uv dye appears to be coming out on the drivers side of the motor with the majority of it appearing in the red circled area (hard to see the uv on my phone pics sorry). I verified that the oil is also not coming from the dip stick tube above the oil pan.

If this was the rear main wouldn't it be coming out of the bottom of the bell-housing and getting everywhere (TC etc)? From what I see either I didn't add enough black RTV to the rear main t junction or it is leaking from the seal between the block and the rear main assembly (one piece on the 5.7)? The 2nd pic shows some more oil pooling at the front of the motor (still drivers side).

Old 09-12-2014, 05:51 AM
abarmby
Champion

Can't help you with where the leak is possibly coming from but....I gotta commend you for your ingenuity in using the dye
Al.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:00 PM
edwilliamson1985

It wouldn't be leaking from around the oil pressure line at the back of the block would it? hair line crack in the cooler line?

Old 09-13-2014, 12:28 AM
Fl2500
Amateur

So the bad news. I checked again with the UV light and got into a position where I could see into the bellhousing better. Rear main is leaking, I did the oil pan anyhow just to make sure and the leak is the same.

So, being as we just put this motor together I know the rear main cannot be changed without separating the motor from the transmission. Easier to pull motor again or pull the trans back? If pulling trans, is it just disconnect both drive shafts, any electrical connectors, TC selector and unbolt and move back? Any tips on that process are appreciated.