3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ahhh, I'm Ready to Go With NO Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 11:05 PM
xJO98
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahhh, I'm Ready to Go With NO Tonneau Cover

I thought I wanted soft but the more I see them, the more I don't like the bowing of the covers from the bows. I don't want a painted fiberglass lid and I don't want a retractable. I almost decided that the Undercover hard cover might be the way to go but some of the reading I've done showed that they might distort over time. Arggghh, I'm ready to go no cover, I've got a quad cab that I can carry some stuff in. Of course, a couple of weeks ago I needed to pick up my son's Xmas gift from Toys R Us that was too big to haul inside the cab. Of course, it was freakin' pouring that day, my bed was soaked so forget using a tarp to cover it and I needed to borrow my in-laws Jeep Cherokee to bring it home. Just sad, I have a truck, needed to borrow a little SUV to haul something home. Dammit, what's the real deal on the longevity/durabilty of the Under Cover hard tonneau? Are there any soft covers that sit flat like a hard cover does?

Old 10-24-2005, 12:32 AM
2005 DAYTONA
Professional
Default RE: Ahhh, I'm Ready to Go With NO Tonneau Cover

This is the cover you want, It was the ONLY one that would work for my 05 Ram DAYTONA because of the wing....... BUT it fits PERFECT. It DONT go on the top of the rails like most , this one fits inside the bed and it rolls up with ease as ONE piece BARS AND ALL. It also is adjustable for tension for those COLD winter days when the cover srinks. Its just an all round well made cover... WELL WORTH THE MONEY. i think anyway. you may wanna shop around on the web for a cheaper price. I paid $380.00 for mine installed... good luck

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...rado_cover.htm

Old 10-24-2005, 01:17 AM
biglg
Professional

XJO98 this is the cover you want, i promise it is the best cover for the money and the looks. http://www.checkerpro.com/hardcovers.html I have had 3 of these covers and they are awesome. They sit flush, and can be painted or you can get one in white or black as a standard color. Installation is easy, I installed mine in less than 30 minutes and it didnt require much skill. I hope this helps, and to everyone who may want a bed cover this is the one you want. I love them and will buy one for every truck I own from her on out!

Old 10-24-2005, 02:59 AM
muddauber5.7
Professional

I have the exact same cover that 2005 daytona is showing you in the above thread. It lays flat the polls are not bowed and they roll up in the cover. it's held on with heavy duty velcro,and I've had mine going on three years through summer and winter and it's holding up great!! Oh and if you had'nt noticed in the pics. it's mounted inside the bed rails which gives it a unique look. GOOD LUCK.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:56 AM
mill500
Veteran

I have a Truxedo Low Profile roll up, looks pretty much the same as the Access cover in the link above. It lays absolutely flat, can't notice the bars but they too roll up and there's straps to hold the rolled up top in front and has a locking latch when shut. It fits inside the bed rail so you can stll keep any bed tiedowns in the rail holes.

I've been very happy with it. I just didn't want to go with a hard cover because there's too many times I want to haul big stuff. This one's been great. We go back and forth to a lake every weekend in the summer and you can put your cooler, groceries, laundry, etc. in the back clean, dry and nothing blows around, then just roll it up when you need full access. I also didn't want to mess with snaps and the velcro works great.

Any of these are probably pretty good, you just get what you pay for. Don't go cheap, get a good one and you'll be happy with it.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:37 PM
xJO98
Rookie

Is it safe to say that all high quality soft tonneau's that have the integrated bows lay flat?

Old 10-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Avanti
Captain

Since it reads like you don't want any of the several entirely different styles of covers available, maybe what you needed from the get-go was an SUV? Sounds like it to me.

Good luck.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:50 PM
xJO98
Rookie

If that were the case, I would've kept my VW Passat station wagon thanks.

I guess I'm just too picky. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and yes there are a multitude of covers out there to choose from but like I said, maybe I'm just too picky. If the high end soft covers lay flat with no bow to them, then great that's the way I'll go. It's obvious to me for the most versatility and weather protection, a high end soft cover is the way to go. No offense to those rolling with soft covers that have a bowing to them, I just don't like how it looks and the more I see them, the more it steers me away from soft covers all together. I'm always thinking of just rolling with no cover at all since I do have the back seat for lockable storage/small hauling and I like the look of the open bed and my LineX liner but that one time I needed the truck and the weather stopped me in my tracks pissed me off.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:21 AM
xJO98
Rookie

After all my pissing and moaning, I ordered a Tekstyle Profile soft cover. Soft, velcro, integrated bars, tension adjustment. Get it Friday. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Ahhh, I'm Ready to Go With NO Tonneau Cover