3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steering wheel responding to bumps on road.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015 | 02:16 PM
chill_z
|
Default steering wheel responding to bumps on road.

Hi everyone! I am new here and am in desperate need of answers. About 6 months ago my husband and I purchased a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with 135,000. Not long after owning it, we discovered the notorious "death wobble." A week ago my husband and my Dad did some front end work to hopefully cure it. They replaced the track bar with the upgraded one. New steering stabilizer and all 4 ball joints. They had to replace one hub as well and 2 U-joints. We got it aligned and crossed our fingers. Now the death wobble isn't a concern but the way the steering wheel feels when you hit bumps is concerning. Honestly it drives like crap. With any bump in the road you can see the steering wheel move from one side to the other depending which tire hits the bump. My Dad originally thought maybe the ball joints were stiff and just needed some time. We've put 200 miles on it and it's not improving. Now he's suggesting maybe we should replace the other hub. The hub isn't making any noise and it isn't getting hot at all. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2015 | 05:22 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Tie rods?

Old 03-16-2015 | 06:30 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star

Welcome to the wild world of dodge bump steering. I have replaced/rebuilt my entire front end and yes it still does that. I called a buddy of mine that works at pro comp and said the dodge truck do that because of the big tires ans it's a rack and pinion. The only way to combat it is to get a steering stabilizer. Unfortunately no one makes one for my truck but i have seen lots of them for yours being its a 2500. I think yours came from one from the factory and if it did it may be to small for it or worn out.I would replace it with one from rancho or pro comp.

Old 03-16-2015 | 10:12 PM
Largefarva
Professional

it won't be a wheel hub, that's for sure. But instead of guessing and just throwing parts at it why not have it looked at by a qualified shop? If it was me the first thing I would do is disconnect the tie rod ends on each side and try to turn the knuckle, then you'll see if one is tight and one not. It could be that the ball joints are bad or they were installed wrong, but I'd say it's something to do with the ball joints or a bad stabilizer.

Old 03-17-2015 | 01:27 AM
alex_m712

Agree. There should have been more diagnostic before throwing that many parts. Did they miss and inner tie rod? U joints on the steering column? Maybe they even under tightened a wheel. If the hub is not loose or loud its fine. Bring it to a shop you'll save more money.

Quick Reply: steering wheel responding to bumps on road.