3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changed broken valve spring now truck still runs rough

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:36 PM
racing44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed broken valve spring now truck still runs rough

My dad has an 03 ram with the 5.7l and it stalled while on the freeway. He had it towed to his house and with all the info gathered on here I suspected a broken valve spring. Sure enough when I got the valve cover off the #5 spring was broke. I replaced all 16 springs, spark plugs, pcv valve, and battery. Before the replacing all this the truck would start but only with me hitting the throttle, it would stall otherwise, and it had a chatter in motor. No codes were present. After changing everything, the truck pretty much still runs as bad as before minus the chatter in motor, but I got a code that popped up (po113 intake air temp sensor high voltage). Im kinda stumped now. Ive read that the pcm may need to be reset, but not sure how to do that. Could there be a sensor bad? Any help would be appreciated. This is my first time on any forum but with what ive learned reading others posts im sure you guys will have an answer. Thanks

Old 03-24-2015, 01:48 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Did you disconnect the battery while doing all the changes? That'll reset the computer.

SJ03

Old 03-24-2015, 02:04 PM
racing44

Battery cable was off for 10 hrs. Now code (po113) has been erased and has not come back on.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:32 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if it was at significant rpm when the spring broke, you may have a bent valve. Did you do a compression check?

When mine broke its #6 exhaust, it was idling (fortunately). I did the same things you did, minus the battery but plus new push rods and valve stem seals. It's run like a top since then. What plugs did you use?

Old 03-24-2015, 08:46 PM
racing44

Just did compression test, and all cylinders good, even #5 which had broken spring. Also hooked up the snap on solus scanner to it and all sensors have good readings and no misfire detected. Checked all coils and theyre firing good. One thing I did notice is there are a couple plug wires that are arcing so im about to eliminate that when the plugs get here in 10 mins. I put in the champion copper plugs.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:42 PM
racing44

Just did compression test, and all cylinders good, even #5 which had broken spring. Also hooked up the snap on solus scanner to it and all sensors have good readings and no misfire detected. Checked all coils and theyre firing good. One thing I did notice is there are a couple plug wires that are arcing so im about to eliminate that when the plugs get here in 10 mins. I put in the champion copper plugs.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:43 PM
racing44

Still running poorly with new wires...

Old 03-25-2015, 04:34 AM
abarmby
Champion

Did your dad here any kind of a backfire, pop or anything like that when it stopped did he?
I do know that the plastic intakes on these Hemi's can and do crack.
Check you have good vacuum bud as these intakes when cracked make the Hemi's run crap.
Al.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:45 PM
racing44

He didnt have any warning. He was on a freeway off ramp off throttle and it cut off. Ill have to look into the intake issue. Would be nice to have a smoke machine right now.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:00 PM
racing44

After checking the vacuum with an old school analog gauge, ive found the vacuum is real low. Talked to a guy at a dealer and he has had an issue with the pin on the cam shaft bending or shearing off after a valve spring breaks. Anyone heard of this before?

Quick Reply: changed broken valve spring now truck still runs rough