3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why you, yes YOU, need to clean your throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 12:41 PM
RamedHemi
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone seen a difference in performance or fuel economy after performing these cleanings? I have 88,000 and have never done mine. Thanks!

Old 11-11-2015, 01:01 PM
electraflh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a heads up to all that use BREAK CLEAN, i read an article in american iron magizine that if brake clean hits a hot surface (exhaust manifold) it will turn into phosgene gas and if you get a small wiff it will mess badly with your lungs and nervious system permantly, i don't use it, i think its to much $, i use crc tbc & maf cleaner, and for real greasy stuff the old toothbrush and gas method, i don't know if its true just something i read

Old 11-11-2015, 07:53 PM
JSMCO
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2008 with 5.7 L Hemi and have had a "3 Step Fuel Induction Service" done twice, once at 30,000 and once at 60,000. The 3 steps as far as I understand them are cleaning the throttle body, cleaning the combustion chambers, and cleaning the fuel system which would include the injectors. Not sure exactly what is involved with each step at a dealer or shop vs. DIY with the Berryman or Synpower 3 step DIY kits. The dealer did the 1st one and BIG O did the 2nd one. It was about 90 bucks each time. I definitely noticed a pickup in power and a quicker throttle response both times. (More noticeable the 1st time when the dealer did it) However, at the same time this was done, new Champion Copper plugs were also installed both times so that likely also would have had an effect. I think at 90,000 I will do (or have done) the two items a couple weeks apart to better judge how each affects throttle response & power.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:17 PM
RamedHemi
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 08 is going to the dealer next Friday for an airbag recall. Ialso recently called Chrysler Corp. and filled a complaint claim for my oilpan. I live in NJ where we get loads of road salt . My oil pan has extremecancer rust. I wash my truck and under carriage off almost after every snowstorm. I doubt they will do anything. Not happy at all with the condition ofthe whole under carriage. Anyone else have rusty oil pans? I am gonna raise asmuch as hell as I can about this with them. I already sent in pics for myclaim. Dealer is prob gonna BS my claim.

Quick Reply: Why you, yes YOU, need to clean your throttle body