3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why you, yes YOU, need to clean your throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:45 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Why you, yes YOU, need to clean your throttle body

Here's what an 82,XXX mile throttle body looks like:

Name:  IMG_0732.jpg
Views: 11514
Size:  111.3 KB

Not so bad, but, check it out from the back. You know, the side your engine sees...:

Name:  IMG_0733.jpg
Views: 11789
Size:  151.3 KB

And the intake port, itself:

Name:  IMG_0734.jpg
Views: 11081
Size:  92.0 KB

That's less than 100K, folks. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I'd say about half of those have been highway miles, cruising around 2K rpm. Thats disgusting. It makes me scared thinking about how the insides of the cylinders and lifters must look. Hopefully they aren't that gunked up.

After cleaning:

Name:  IMG_0737.jpg
Views: 11695
Size:  126.8 KB

As far as I dared stick my hand and rag in there:

Name:  IMG_0739.jpg
Views: 11358
Size:  170.0 KB

I didn't want to spray anything down in there, so I dampened a rag with some cleaner and then scrubbed around as best I could. I'm not exactly mobile up under the hood, so that's the best angles I could get. I let it dry out for about 20 minutes while I messed around with some other stuff, and then put it all back together. I promptly threw a CEL when I started it up. Don't forget to double check all your connections. Even though I swore I did, I guess I forgot to plug the IAT sensor back in. Easy fix, thankfully. The hardest part was getting the damn Hemi hat bolted back in correctly.

It is super simple to do: (2) 10mm bolts hold the Hemi hat on (even easier if you already have a CAI), (4) 8mm bolts hold the throttle body on. Don't forget to disconnect the Intake Air Temp sensor when you remove the hat, and the sensor on the throttle body, itself. Reverse the process to put it all back together. Took about 30-40 minutes, including cleaning, and that was because it was my first time doing it. Next time it will probably be about 10 minutes shorter, if not more.

Don't neglect this easy bit of maintenance. It's probably easier than changing your oil.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:15 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully this will keep people updated on the fact this is so necessary. Good post!

Old 08-03-2015, 06:59 PM
mextexdodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already did mine throttle body clean when it hit 100,000 miles. Right now it has 120,000 miles so it won't be another 80,000 miles to clean it again.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:23 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
Here's what an 82,XXX mile throttle body looks like:

Not so bad, but, check it out from the back. You know, the side your engine sees...:

And the intake port, itself:

That's less than 100K, folks. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I'd say about half of those have been highway miles, cruising around 2K rpm. Thats disgusting. It makes me scared thinking about how the insides of the cylinders and lifters must look. Hopefully they aren't that gunked up.

After cleaning:

As far as I dared stick my hand and rag in there:

I didn't want to spray anything down in there, so I dampened a rag with some cleaner and then scrubbed around as best I could. I'm not exactly mobile up under the hood, so that's the best angles I could get. I let it dry out for about 20 minutes while I messed around with some other stuff, and then put it all back together. I promptly threw a CEL when I started it up. Don't forget to double check all your connections. Even though I swore I did, I guess I forgot to plug the IAT sensor back in. Easy fix, thankfully. The hardest part was getting the damn Hemi hat bolted back in correctly.

It is super simple to do: (2) 10mm bolts hold the Hemi hat on (even easier if you already have a CAI), (4) 8mm bolts hold the throttle body on. Don't forget to disconnect the Intake Air Temp sensor when you remove the hat, and the sensor on the throttle body, itself. Reverse the process to put it all back together. Took about 30-40 minutes, including cleaning, and that was because it was my first time doing it. Next time it will probably be about 10 minutes shorter, if not more.

Don't neglect this easy bit of maintenance. It's probably easier than changing your oil.
Don't let that nasty run-off get into the motor of the TB.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Nope. Took great care to avoid that.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:32 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

great update that will give me something to do @ 5am tomorrow that im sure needs done again

Old 08-05-2015, 03:15 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

I have to admit mine was pretty funky this morning, throttle response is back to where it should be

Old 08-05-2015, 07:38 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The second pic is what mine looked like the first time (91K). Since then, not so much.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you started this thread. I just performed a 100,000 mile service on my truck and the throttle body looked like that.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:04 PM
stenerson
Veteran

Mines looks like that every 80K or so when I clean them. Truth is I notice no difference in performance .

Quick Reply: Why you, yes YOU, need to clean your throttle body