3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What in the world IS THIS??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:58 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks hammer

Old 08-25-2015, 10:06 PM
ELMST
Amateur

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yes, the blue thing is the PCV valve. It's been a few years since I've made a CAI for an '03 so I'm not sure if that hole in the side is capped or not. I wanna say no.

Have any CELs? Truck running good? If so, leave it the f*ck alone...
No engines codes, but the Truck has been running poorly for a while. I can't figure it out.

I'm having a rough idle when it is cold. Even after the engine is warm and I'm at a red light or stop sign, the idle seems low to me, and will occasionally have a short stutter or a "miss" (if "miss" is the right way to describe it).

Old 08-25-2015, 10:28 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok, I just read your original post and see where it's running like sh&t.

Well if that hole is supposed to be capped you'd be losing vacuum big time and that would at the very minimum produce a CEL. Athough I guess I'd block it off temporarily to see if it made a difference

A "miss" is short for a misfiring cylinder, also would generate a CEL.

My first guess would be TPS. But two things I'd try first would be to reset the PCM (sometimes this fixes a low idle situation) and I'd ground the throttle body (something the engineers never found necessary but makes a HUGE difference in throttle response). They are free fixes and won't hurt anything.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:29 PM
ELMST
Amateur

Yes, the blue thing is the PCV valve. It's been a few years since I've made a CAI for an '03 so I'm not sure if that hole in the side is capped or not. I wanna say no.

What's a CAI??

Old 08-25-2015, 10:32 PM
ELMST
Amateur

Ok, I just read your original post and see where it's running like sh&t.

Well if that hole is supposed to be capped you'd be losing vacuum big time and that would at the very minimum produce a CEL. Athough I guess I'd block it off temporarily to see if it made a difference

A "miss" is short for a misfiring cylinder, also would generate a CEL.

My first guess would be TPS. But two things I'd try first would be to reset the PCM (sometimes this fixes a low idle situation) and I'd ground the throttle body (something the engineers never found necessary but makes a HUGE difference in throttle response). They are free fixes and won't hurt anything.
I've just put on a new Throttle body about a week ago. You can tell it is new when you look at my picture. The reason I replaced it was because I took it off to clean it, and the butterfly had all kinds of excessive play in it. I thought for sure that was going to fix all my troubles, but it did not.

It does seem to have a nice smooth acceleration now, but the rough idle and general crappyness is still there.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ELMST
What's a CAI??
Cold air intake.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Cold Air Intake. I used to make them on the cheap as kinda a side hobby . Have even made and installed about a dozen or so for DF members but haven't in about 5 years or so. I probably haven't put one on an '03 since probably 2008 that's why I'm not remembering if that hole should be plugged or not. But I did remember the PCV was on top and there wasn't a line or hose coming off it.

Ground that new TB. If you want to see the difference it makes, take your meter and ground it, with the engine running touch positive to the housing and read the Ohms (interference). The ohms build and the plate reacts slower and slower to the fly by wire signal coming from the gas pedal. If your touch a wire to the TB housing and to chassis ground you'll watch the meter drop to zero...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-25-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:39 PM
ELMST
Amateur

Cold Air Intake. I used to make them on the cheap as kinda a side hobby . Have even made and installed about a dozen or so for DF members but haven't in about 5 years or so. I probably haven't put one on an '03 since probably 2008 that's why I'm not remembering if that hole should be plugged or not. But I did remember the PCV was on top and there wasn't a line or hose coming off it.
Ah cold air intake, thanks. Ok I read ya loud and clear on the PCV. I can also see that now in my Haynes repair manual.

If that hole is supposed to be there, what do you think its purpose might be?

Old 08-25-2015, 10:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

No clue, like I said the '03 was the first year of the Hemi Ram and it's a red headed step child.

Here is a CAI I made for an old member with an '04 and if you look at the circle you'll see I rerouted the PCV to collect in that small filter instead of leaving gunk in the engine. You'll note the metal tube that P23851 was referring to that the '03 doesn't have.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:55 PM
ELMST
Amateur

Thanks Hammer

Quick Reply: What in the world IS THIS??