3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What in the world IS THIS??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:41 AM
GreenEH
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELMST
Thanks Hammer
I have an 03, I will check in the morning the arrangement. But I am 99% sure there is a cap that goes there

2003 did not have egr, that port is for an egr hookup from the passenger side cylinder head back to the intake manifold. The PCV sits on top of that port and internally circulates crank case gases through the intake manifold. The little filter that Hammer put on with the CAI is the for the fresh air makeup on the crankcase, making up lost air from the crankcase under venting or providing air if it comes under vacuum.

Last edited by GreenEH; 08-26-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:15 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I knew someone with an '03 would chime in. Thanks GreenEH...

Old 08-26-2015, 08:20 AM
ELMST
Amateur

Originally Posted by GreenEH
I have an 03, I will check in the morning the arrangement. But I am 99% sure there is a cap that goes there

2003 did not have egr, that port is for an egr hookup from the passenger side cylinder head back to the intake manifold. The PCV sits on top of that port and internally circulates crank case gases through the intake manifold. The little filter that Hammer put on with the CAI is the for the fresh air makeup on the crankcase, making up lost air from the crankcase under venting or providing air if it comes under vacuum.
I will be very grateful! My only other option is to make a trip to the dealership service center. I'd really like to avoid that if I can.

I'll be looking for your feedback periodically throughout the day. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-26-2015, 08:26 AM
ELMST
Amateur

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Ok, I just read your original post and see where it's running like sh&t.

Well if that hole is supposed to be capped you'd be losing vacuum big time and that would at the very minimum produce a CEL. Athough I guess I'd block it off temporarily to see if it made a difference

A "miss" is short for a misfiring cylinder, also would generate a CEL.

Hammer, I should say that I did get a P0302 code about a month ago. So I changed the coil pack on cylinder 2 and the code has not returned. I hoped this would fix the stuttering or the "miss" of the engine. I'm not sure what to call it, because I don't know if the cylinder is actually misfiring or if a lean condition is causing an intermittent stutter.

However, I'm still experiencing the same stutter or miss, and although the P0302 has not returned, the coil pack was not the ultimate issue. Since this rough idle and stutter has continued, I'm beginning to think my issue is with a vacuum leak.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:04 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

So, throw a piece of duct tape over it and crank it in the driveway. If its idling bad from the get go as you say, you'll know if it's your problem in two minutes...

Old 08-26-2015, 03:53 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Doesn't the EGR pipe go in there or did 03 not have an EGR?

Old 08-26-2015, 04:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by lxman1
Doesn't the EGR pipe go in there or did 03 not have an EGR?
That's where EGR goes on '04+. No EGR on '03 Hemi. I've done work on half a dozen '03s but it's been seven or eight years and I can't for the life of me remember if that hole is capped or not. I'm still thinking no, but just ain't sure...

Old 08-26-2015, 09:01 PM
ELMST
Amateur

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
So, throw a piece of duct tape over it and crank it in the driveway. If its idling bad from the get go as you say, you'll know if it's your problem in two minutes...
Tried some duct tape as well as plugging the hole with my glove. No change in idle and could not feel and air escaping or sucking on my bare hand.

Still would like to know what this hole is for and if it should be capped or not.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

We've already said it's for EGR on vehicles so equipped. I also said there wasn't gonna be any vacuum there or for a hole that big you'd get at least a CEL (although it probably wouldn't even start). I knew blocking the hole would make no difference but figured you'd need to see it for yourself.

I got a text back from a friend who's a Mopar tech. He said no plug from the factory, absolutely no need for one. Is supposed to send me a link to a pic or diagram. He says either you're not running standard copper plugs OR broken valve spring...

Old 08-27-2015, 12:23 AM
GreenEH
Professional

Sorry for not getting back to you this morning on this thread. I just checked my 03 intake manifold and there is a "plug" but it's hollowed out so it still looks like a hole. You should be able to stick your finger in there and feel that the back is sealed off..

With regards to the rough idle, definitely check the valve springs. If one broke it will cause all sorts of issues. When one of mine let go it ruined the whole motor cause it dropped a valve. 03s are notorious for breaking springs... Some come out more lucky and the valve stays in place.

Quick Reply: What in the world IS THIS??