3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Laramie, can't find amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 10:46 PM
Swick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Laramie, can't find amp

I just bought a Clarion NX604 head unit for my truck. I have the 7 speaker system with navigation, can't seem to find the amp anywhere. I was so excited to get this stereo in and installed, I bought the wiring harness and all the necessary components, got it all here and ready to go, and this amp is eluding me. Most people seem to think it's behind the glove box, where exactly? I pulled my glove box off and looked all over. The only thing I see is an airbag and I really don't wanna mess with that. Could it be under my center seat? There is something black with wiring under my center seat (I have a quad cab). Any pictures of the actual amp in its location would be extremely helpful. A few threads said it's way up under the glove box, if so, how do we get to it?

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:52 AM
stanjon

Checked a 2006 service manual and it stated that a 140 watt amplifier might be located under the center seat. Try there.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2005 is under the dash. I dont' recall exactly where, but I DO recall seeing it when we were installing a new head unit a few years ago. That might have changed for the Gen 3.5, so I would take a look under the center seat before pulling apart the dash.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

What is the intent? Do you guys disconnect the speaker wires from the amp and hook them to the head unit?

(When I installed one in my quad cab Dakota, I ran new wires to the speakers. )

Old 10-04-2015, 08:40 PM
Swick

The intent was to connect the wiring harness for the new head unit to the amp. Well I don't have to worry about that now.... Can't believe after taking everything apart, come to find out my Laramie only has the 4 speaker system. All this time I was sure it had 7 speakers to go with the factory nav and all. The good news is Crutchfield is sending me the correct wiring harness (only $5 compared to the $70 one I bought) and taking this one back. The other good news is I was able to check out my ac issues while everything is apart (need to fix blend door, will address on new thread). And I also took the opportunity to run the mic and nav antenna for the new unit. Thanks for the input guys, I have some pics and disassembly advice if anyone needs.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:27 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My 08 if under the center of the dash, up as high as you can reach. Took about a foot or so of extensions to get to the mounting bolts.

Quick Reply: 2004 Laramie, can't find amp