3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to Dodge. The PCV valve (R side) what is on (L side) Valve cover on 5.9L?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 05:14 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Dodge. The PCV valve (R side) what is on (L side) Valve cover on 5.9L?

It seems a mystery why Dodge would put a PCV valve on the right valve cover that feeds into the upper intake plenum and on the left a straight elbow that feeds into the air intake tube.. WTFover?

I know I am not an engineer for Dodge, but why did they do this? What is the reason for this instead of somehow (2) PCV valves into one and into the intake or???

Anyone redirected the two and dumped it into the air intake tube blocking off the intake plenum hole?? I don't get their logic in doing this.

Again I am new to Dodge and this seems very weird to me.

Thoughts or musings on this? Please post and help me expand my brainpan.

-Nathan

Old 12-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Okay I found out it is the "breather valve" and I ordered it. Got it of FleBay for $4.80 +free shipping.

Mopar Part Number: 53030497

I will do a write up on it (yes I know it is really nothing.. but a newb like me )

Will update once I get it in.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:49 AM
OpethSlayer

I think one is pcv and the other is a crank case breather.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:23 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by OpethSlayer
I think one is pcv and the other is a crank case breather.
Yeah the left side (passenger side) is the breather and right side (driver) is the PCV valve.

Thanks my man. Hey is there anything in the breather valve or is it just a nylon elbow macaroni 90deg bend??

Old 12-08-2015, 05:59 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Get it from the dealer or make sure it's a dealer OE part. I bought one from the auto store and it didn't fit right and had bad blowby on the valve cover. Changed it to the dealer one and fit like a glove.

SJ03

Old 12-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe02
Get it from the dealer or make sure it's a dealer OE part. I bought one from the auto store and it didn't fit right and had bad blowby on the valve cover. Changed it to the dealer one and fit like a glove.

SJ03
Thanks SmokingJoe. I got a PCV valve from AutoZone.. wonder if I should just go pick an OEM one up instead of even trying it.. been buying OEM stuff for the truck since picking it up, a couple things I have opted for aftermarket.. we shall see.

Thanks again man

Old 12-15-2015, 01:38 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Received the breather valve in today, it is just a fancy plastic macaroni tube.

Nothing in it will keep oil from heading toward the upper plastic intake/throttle body so I do plan on getting an oil catch can for this (passenger) side also.

The correct mounting screw came in from UPR today, guess their parts dealer sent wrong machine screws so for a couple weeks everyone's oil catch cans received the wrong mounting screw.. I was one of them but they made it right and I got the proper screw in today. Hell yes!

Old 01-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

I just got done with my tuneup and changed out my throttle body for the new higher flow throttle body from the dude on eBay.

Yeah so after seeing this.. this is the side that my breather sits on and how much oil is brought into the throttle body, I am going to be either:
  1. A.) getting a new grommit and using 2 pcv valves and having them both run into a "Y" connector and having them run into the Oil Catch Can, and then just running it to either the upper end or the lower end.
  2. Running a seperate Oil Catch Can for the breather side and not screw with the breather elbow/gasket.

I need to keep this from happening. I have not found out why there is a PCV valve for one side, and a breather for the other. I have no idea why it is also split into the upper and lower intakes. I want to correct this and catch the oil/vapor so it does not coat my throttle body and intake with oil. I did not notice much from the PCV side looking into the lower intake, but you can see what the breather side looks like. And it happens to show on the bottom side and not so much on the top side of the throttle body for whatever reason.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:23 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a pcv valve on one side and a breather on the other because you have to suck air from somewhere. The tubing from the air intake to the valve cover allows the pcv to draw in filtered air after the air filter to keep contaminates out of the crankcase

Old 01-03-2016, 08:38 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by lxman1
There is a pcv valve on one side and a breather on the other because you have to suck air from somewhere. The tubing from the air intake to the valve cover allows the pcv to draw in filtered air after the air filter to keep contaminates out of the crankcase
Oh.. huh why is it introducing gunk into the throttle body then? I get what you are saying but...?? That makes sense I guess. Weird that at a certain point it is actually sucking air from the breather then..

hmm.. maybe 2 is the only way to go then

Quick Reply: New to Dodge. The PCV valve (R side) what is on (L side) Valve cover on 5.9L?