3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Had a P0420 code pop tonight (2002 Ram 1500)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:40 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MIL came on this morning. I am changing O2's on Friday still. Clear codes and cross my fingers.

I did notice last night while having engine on and hood up, almost a "sucking" type sound.. Not sure what that is. I would think vacuum but I am not sure. I just haven't had time to get into this truck much since I bought it (winter)..

Old 02-11-2016, 01:48 PM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly suggest that you change the o2 sensors with OEM Sensors, My self and many others have had problems with aftermarket ones even name brand such as Bosch.

Also If you do have to swap cats, I would stay away from the cheap Auto store ones, You can replace all these parts with Cheap stuff and still be chasing the same issue you are having now.

FYI, When I had that code it was in fact a bad cat and I replaced it with Magna flow cats.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:16 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by Joe.G
I highly suggest that you change the o2 sensors with OEM Sensors, My self and many others have had problems with aftermarket ones even name brand such as Bosch.

Also If you do have to swap cats, I would stay away from the cheap Auto store ones, You can replace all these parts with Cheap stuff and still be chasing the same issue you are having now.

FYI, When I had that code it was in fact a bad cat and I replaced it with Magna flow cats.
Thank you Joe. Do you have the part number for the magna flows? I was wanting to do Comp Cats from Bassani, the all stainless type (inner substrate and surround).. I was thinking about getting the magnaflows and swapping to comp cats.

Thanks for the $.02. It is very much appreciated

Old 02-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Alright. I didn't have issues till I used a couple fuel injector cleaners. I think it fouled up the Cat. SO.. I spent the money on CataClean.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-120007/reviews/

I got it at Orielys for $24.99. I will see if it works, hell I may even try a second bottle to to see.. I had a 1/4 tank today, will be hitting the road tomorrow. I had intermittent MIL today rolling around.

I DID buy NTK Oxygen sensors though. So I will be able to get those swapped out and see if they help. Guy at Oreillys said that there are codes FOR the O2's and that it is (the P0420) is a Cat code. We shall see if CataClean works.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:41 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

I really suggest you return teh NGK o2 and get OEM ones, you may replace them and still get code because truck doesnt like sensors, Trust me I had this issue on my Honda. Id have to look on the Magna flow website to find code, i ordered the California version.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:24 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Joe.G

I thought that the factory were made by NGK?

Old 02-13-2016, 06:37 AM
Jylee968

I think NKG is fine, for auto outside CA and NY do not need CARB compliance parts. If you feel the cleaner foiled the sensors, I hope it solved your problem.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by Jylee968
I think NKG is fine, for auto outside CA and NY do not need CARB compliance parts. If you feel the cleaner foiled the sensors, I hope it solved your problem.
All the brands have a 1yr warranty. If they don't work I will take them back, but for now I will try the NGK (NTK) type. Everyone loves the spark plugs, and I am running the plugs now, and yes I hope that this solves the issues with the cat. We shall see. I am going to go reset the codes and hit the road. Run the gas down to nothing, fill er up again and go.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:54 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Still have a misfire code cylinder 2, and low efficiency cat code P0420.. ECM code and another but both the same codes. So stored and current? I am not sure. I want to know if a possible misfire could cause the exhaust to be cooler and not letting cat warm up to full potential or? I have no clue. I will get it figured out and let everyone know.

I will be pulling and replacing plug tomorrow. Incidentally Oriellys has them for $2.09 each where as Summit charged me $3.49/per.. something to think about.

Last edited by Black02CrCb; 02-13-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:38 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

Reason i went with CA Carb Compliant Cat's is Because before a trusted Dodge dealer ship and Magnaflow themselves with the Ram cat's if I did not go with teh CA version I mostly likely will get a code, Magnaflow said they before flow the same just the CA ones have more filtering Metals in them.

Quick Reply: Had a P0420 code pop tonight (2002 Ram 1500)