3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Had a P0420 code pop tonight (2002 Ram 1500)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 10:42 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe.G
Reason i went with CA Carb Compliant Cat's is Because before a trusted Dodge dealer ship and Magnaflow themselves with the Ram cat's if I did not go with teh CA version I mostly likely will get a code, Magnaflow said they before flow the same just the CA ones have more filtering Metals in them.
I **** you not, before I buy a new cat.. I will use oven cleaner on the damn thing. I will not spend that type of money on a stock type cat.

I get what you are saying though. Comp Cats from Bassani are a secret weapon. They flow better WAY better and have better Cat conversion than the ceramics.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Okay.

I wanted to sorta clean things up with the thread. I looked more into issues surrounding the P0420 code and if you have excessive oil consumption or misfire there is going to be an issue with the cats eventually.

1.) I did have a misfire and that came about after my tuneup. Cylinder 2.. so I got a new plug and this morning changed that out. Truck runs really smoothly now.

2.) I cleared the codes and put 1 gallon of lacquer thinner in with 10gallons of fuel and drove around a 100+ miles back from my weekend destination. The P0420 code is no longer present, or hasn't popped back up.. knock on wood. I saw this on YouTube and enough people gave a good review of doing this, I said why not.. nothing to lose. The L.T. was $18.89 w/ a funnel from Home Creepo.

3.) I do think CataClean works, but I also think in my case the cat was blocked enough that it needed more of a clean.

I will update the thread to let you know if the light comes back on. I also want to state that my truck is using oil in some way, I don't believe it is in the intake, I think I have leaking valve cover gaskets.. I plan on ordering the aluminum Magnum type and swapping those out. I still need to get another catch can and get them both put on.

I have NOT installed the new 02 sensors yet, as I don't want to keep adding variables and not knowing which of each has caused and issue should there be one. From here on out I am going to swap things out 1 at a time just to make sure.

All this said (and I know you can't take it for gospel..) the average mpg went from what used to be 11.9ish, then after the "tune up" went to around 14, then when cat got clogged back down to 12ish.. now it is reading 16.1mpg driving in city.

Again I will update, and hopefully here on out things will be better.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:07 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Passed inspection, trouble code P0420 is no longer (hope it stays this way). The 1gallon lacquer thinner / 10 gallons of gas worked.

Time for a new chapter with the truck.

Quick Reply: Had a P0420 code pop tonight (2002 Ram 1500)