3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

spark plug removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 09:50 PM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary-L
When I replaced the spark plugs and coil tubes, we filled each tube with di-electric grease to ensure good contact from the plug tip to the coil spring as well as preventing moisture from forming and then baking the tube to the porcelain.
I appreciate your input". WHEN you say you filled?? Are you saying very generously?? Cause I'm planning to

Old 03-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GRed
I appreciate your input". WHEN you say you filled?? Are you saying very generously?? Cause I'm planning to
Yes. I have a 3oz tube of di-electric grease. Roll it from the botton and squeeze a goodly amount into both ends of the boot. This will ensure the boot spring and the spark plug terminal are coated as well as the entire spark plug body. You also want a good connection at the coil pack. I noticed minor rust forming on the screw of each coil pack that makes contact with the spring. I scraped them all clean before attaching the greased boot. They key is good, clean contact for efficient voltage delivery to the spark plug.

Whenever I'm working with grease, I never skimp. Also, since our trucks require spark plug changes every 30K miles, it makes sense to keep a 3oz tube on-hand.

Last edited by Gary-L; 03-06-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:46 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

I've changed four sets of plugs on my Hemis. Fortunately never had a problem with the plug boots.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:21 PM
GRed
Professional

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
I've changed four sets of plugs on my Hemis. Fortunately never had a problem with the plug boots.
Thanks for the input, well, read my update.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:26 PM
GRed
Professional

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Yes. I have a 3oz tube of di-electric grease. Roll it from the botton and squeeze a goodly amount into both ends of the boot. This will ensure the boot spring and the spark plug terminal are coated as well as the entire spark plug body. You also want a good connection at the coil pack. I noticed minor rust forming on the screw of each coil pack that makes contact with the spring. I scraped them all clean before attaching the greased boot. They key is good, clean contact for efficient voltage delivery to the spark plug.

Whenever I'm working with grease, I never skimp. Also, since our trucks require spark plug changes every 30K miles, it makes sense to keep a 3oz tube on-hand.
Really very good info...Read my UPDATE I was very very generous with it.. Thanks for your thoughts and input I do appreciate it
question, how did you clean the bottom of the coil boot showing the rust.

Last edited by GRed; 03-06-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: spark plug removal