3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pulled my rear diff. cover..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Thebigredtruck05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled my rear diff. cover..

Hey all! Due for a rear diff fluid change on my 05 Ram 1500 so thought id get to pulling it today.
It went well and my trucks all buttoned up now. But happened to find something a little odd, looks to be a piece of a cotter pin or maybe a sheared gear? Would like to get some opinions so I took a few pictures of the gears and the object I pulled. Let me know what you guys think!

Gears

More gears

Strange object

Old 07-06-2016, 02:51 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

C clip?

Old 07-07-2016, 04:37 AM
gerry92
Professional

The gears looks perfect fine to me.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:04 AM
abarmby
Champion

You sir, are the unfortunate owner of a Dodge Ram with the infamous LSD retaining clip problem.
Contrary to what people mistakenly refer to as a "C clip"...... The correct term is retaining clip.
A C clip holds the axle shafts in place.
Now to continue with your problem, you must.....i repeat MUST remove the rest of the retaining clip which resides deep in your LSD clutch pack.
Failure to do this, WILL cause the remains of the damaged clip, to cut deep into the axle shaft bearings and the axle housing itself.
The bearings can be replaced, but if the axle housing is cut too deep with deep grooves cut by these clips in the soft metal, its a full axle replacement in its entirety.
So..... Open that sucker up again, do some research on this issue -there are many many threads on here about this- and pull out the rest of that damaged clip, inspecting the rest of them as you go.
If you have a silvery sparkling diff oil in there, your too late and the damaged clips have already started to cut into the diff housing.
You can run thousands of miles -i did over 20k - before i had enough saved up to install a Detroit TruTrac.
Pull all those clips out of the stock lsd and refill with fresh oil and friction modifier.
Then, save up for a DDT or Aurburn replacent lsd and forget all your trouble.
Dont forget, read up on here about this issue and good luck.
Please remember to post up whatever you do or find, so we can help further.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 07-08-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-08-2016, 12:31 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the start lol...be happy you caught it now.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:51 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abarmby
You sir, are the unfortunate owner of a Dodge Ram with the infamous LSD retaining clip problem.
Contrary to what people mistakenly refer to as a "C clip"...... The correct term is retaining clip.
A C clip holds the axle shafts in place.
Now to continue with your problem, you must.....i repeat MUST remove the rest of the retaining clip which resides deep in your LSD clutch pack.
Failure to do this, WILL cause the remains of the damaged clip, to cut deep into the axle shaft bearings and the axle housing itself.
The bearings can be replaced, but if the axle housing is cut too deep with deep grooves cut by these clips in the soft metal, its a full axle replacement in its entirety.
So..... Open that sucker up again, do some research on this issue -there are many many threads on here about this- and pull out the rest of that damaged clip, inspecting the rest of them as you go.
If you have a silvery sparkling diff oil in there, your too late and the damaged clips have already started to cut into the diff housing.
You can run thousands of miles -i did over 20k - before i had enough saved up to install a Detroit TruTrac.
Pull all those clips out of the stock lsd and refill with fresh oil and friction modifier.
Then, save up for a DDT or Aurburn replacent lsd and forget all your trouble.
Dont forget, read up on here about this issue and good luck.
Please remember to post up whatever you do or find, so we can help further.
Al.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:54 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm new to this with an '03. Does the 3.73 rear axle have this issue? Or all of the rear axles have this issue?

Old 07-10-2016, 12:43 AM
abarmby
Champion

They got things sorted by 05.
Made thd clips stronger I believe.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Thread on the issue, Above info is correct be glad you caught it now, Is there any damage near the bearing cap's? Mine were worn in a bit but all seems well.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...nd-auburn.html

Old 07-11-2016, 11:55 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stev
I'm new to this with an '03. Does the 3.73 rear axle have this issue? Or all of the rear axles have this issue?
This was an issue with the 9.25's in the 1500's. You have a 2500, you're good.

Quick Reply: Pulled my rear diff. cover..