3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi with 111,5xx miles on original plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:39 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hemi with 111,5xx miles on original plugs

OK, just changed the plugs on my recently acquired 2003 Hemi with 111,5xx miles. Got info from the original owner who changed the plugs only once slightly after 50K.

BUT, he didn't change the three ever around the brake booster! Say what? 111,5xx miles on 3 plugs!

So, I pulled each plug and laid them out in order. See the attached pix.

The passenger side is top side. Driver side bottom. Left is forward of engine. Right is back of engine.

Now, what really throws me for a loop is the OE plugs installed from the factory. There is no discoloration on the hex-nut portion of the plug. Not even a blemish. The threads were all heavy with crusty rust though.

AND .... BTW, the guy never used anti-seize nor dielectric-grease some 50K+ miles ago. The driver side was a PITA to work on as the plugs were rock solid in there.

Oh, the plug next to the shinny OE factory plugs that is super bad, he didn't tighten that one snug in the engine. It smelled of gas one the boot came off.

On those 3 factory plugs, I had cracked my socket in three places. Each about 120-degrees around to the next fracture.

All this was a very weird plug change.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bet you put antiseize on them this time!!! The ones around the booster are little difficult, but can be done. Swivel head plug socket!!, short extension. Did you pull the TB and clean the area around the back of the throttle plate?? Really helps for idle. If you do, use non chlorinated brake cleaner only, not tb/carb cleaner, it will usually fry the sensors, and you have to buy a new TB.

Last edited by Gone Fishin; 08-10-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to change my 03 as well. Just over 100k on the mileage and don't know if they've been done yet. Bought OE plugs and wires. Went to the Stealership and asked how much for a tuneup. Just over $500. Half of that was parts. Went on eBay and got the parts for less than half the cost.

SJ03

Old 08-14-2016, 12:49 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hemi abuse! Travesty!

I just changed mine since I just bought it in March. The plugs were the quad kind lol. I was like

I run into that scenario all the time. Some people just don't know wobble sockets and such exist...or they are cheap and only replace the plug that is misfiring..haha

Taking off the wheel and wheel well shroud will get you access to all the plugs if the need ever arises. Easy on a lift, not so much on the ground.

Last edited by TNtech; 08-14-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:01 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe02
I'm about to change my 03 as well. Just over 100k on the mileage and don't know if they've been done yet. Bought OE plugs and wires. Went to the Stealership and asked how much for a tuneup. Just over $500. Half of that was parts. Went on eBay and got the parts for less than half the cost.

SJ03

Ours is 229 or 249 I can't remember, including plugs. 500 bucks is madness.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:54 PM
StonewallJackson34

Originally Posted by TNtech
Ours is 229 or 249 I can't remember, including plugs. 500 bucks is madness.
Holy **** that is madness.. mine is charging me 280.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:37 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What all are they doing for that tune up? More than just plugs, I assume?

I don't take it to the dealer, but I'm not ashamed to admit I'll pay someone else to do the plugs in this truck. Everything else I can take care of myself.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:04 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Yeah, just the plugs and wires. Hell, I would've let them do it for under $300! I bought a swivel magnetic spark plug socket for $8, so I should be good to go. First time I've done it on a Hemi, so I'm going to set aside a Sunday for it. Of course I'll get my beer on Saturday!

SJ03

Old 08-15-2016, 08:45 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
What all are they doing for that tune up? More than just plugs, I assume?

I don't take it to the dealer, but I'm not ashamed to admit I'll pay someone else to do the plugs in this truck. Everything else I can take care of myself.

I paid a young guy at the dealership to do my plugs hahaha. I can't climb all over these trucks anymore.

I like the MOPAR Hemi wires because they come already in the loom structure with numbers stamped on them (: My 07 doesn't have them thank goodness.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:45 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Yep, that's why I buy OEM items. If dodge can make money saving time on labor, it's good enough for me! LMAO

SJ03

Quick Reply: Hemi with 111,5xx miles on original plugs