3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fog light issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 12:17 PM
Bsmurf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog light issue?

Hello, I'm new here. Please help!
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 that didn't come with fog lights. I installed a pair of factory ones and purchased the jumper wire that plugs into the fog lights and to the existing plug already there and looks as though it ties in with the headlight wiring harness. I tried pulling on the headlight switch as directed but it doesn't pull out. There's already a fuse and relay for fog lights in the fuse box. Not sure where to go next... I did just see on EBay a headlight/fog light switch that can actually pull out for fog lights. If I get this switch, will they turn on? Or do I need something else? Keep in mind that the truck did not have fog lights in it when I purchased it.
Thanks, B

Old 10-22-2016, 08:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Need to make sure the wiring for the fogs is there at the headlight switch.

Going to move this to the third gen ram section for ya.

Welcome to DF!

Old 10-22-2016, 09:39 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did this in my '04 SLT. You simply need to buy a switch that has the foglight function. the rest of your wiring is already there, like you thought.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Bsmurf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
I did this in my '04 SLT. You simply need to buy a switch that has the foglight function. the rest of your wiring is already there, like you thought.
Ok. I'll try that and see. I compared the plugin to the one I need to buy and it looks the same. There's 4 prongs in the plug on top row and 2 on the bottom. However, only 3 of the 4 prongs on top row have wires going to them. Hopefully the 4th prong doesn't require a wire. I'll find out once I get the switch. Thanks for your help.
Bsmurf

Old 10-24-2016, 09:27 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, you kinda have to have the proper switch in order to activate them lol...

Old 10-24-2016, 05:03 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 04 SLT. The SLT comes prewired for the fog lights. I bought some OEM fog light set and then the OEM switch for the fog light function.
All plug and play. Stay OEM with the parts and you should be fine.The cam-bus set up on these trucks sucks because you cannot add without the proper factory switches. My trans temp guage light in my A-pillar only works with the fog lights because of this. Would have had to run a separate wire throught the firewall just to power up this little gauge light.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by jfotsch; 10-24-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jfotsch you just used the wrong wire for your gauge light. You can splice it into the dimmer wire for the interior lighting and it works with them. I did that with the gauges in my '04, and the gauges in my friends '06.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:39 PM
jfotsch
Professional

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
Jfotsch you just used the wrong wire for your gauge light. You can splice it into the dimmer wire for the interior lighting and it works with them. I did that with the gauges in my '04, and the gauges in my friends '06.

Wombat Ranger;

Hey, thanks;
I am a union electrician but am not a low volt tech. I took the thing to a guy who installed my alarm and he was the one who told me about that cam-bus thing???
Does your option leave that guage on all of the time? I only want it on when the headlights are on?
Can you give me an idea which is the dimmer wire?
It pisses me off every time it gets dark out and I have to put the fog lights on just to keep an eye on my trans temp.
Many thanks,
jfotsch

Old 10-31-2016, 11:21 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jfotsch
I have an 04 SLT. The SLT comes prewired for the fog lights. I bought some OEM fog light set and then the OEM switch for the fog light function.
All plug and play. Stay OEM with the parts and you should be fine.The cam-bus set up on these trucks sucks because you cannot add without the proper factory switches. My trans temp guage light in my A-pillar only works with the fog lights because of this. Would have had to run a separate wire throught the firewall just to power up this little gauge light.
Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by jfotsch
Wombat Ranger;

Hey, thanks;
I am a union electrician but am not a low volt tech. I took the thing to a guy who installed my alarm and he was the one who told me about that cam-bus thing???
Does your option leave that guage on all of the time? I only want it on when the headlights are on?
Can you give me an idea which is the dimmer wire?
It pisses me off every time it gets dark out and I have to put the fog lights on just to keep an eye on my trans temp.
Many thanks,
jfotsch

It's CAN bus (Controller Area Network) and that didn't start in the Rams until 2006. If you had an 06+ then you'd need the switch AND to have the lights activated in the computer. Prior to that isn't necessary.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:28 PM
jfotsch
Professional

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
It's CAN bus (Controller Area Network) and that didn't start in the Rams until 2006. If you had an 06+ then you'd need the switch AND to have the lights activated in the computer. Prior to that isn't necessary.
HemiLonestar;
Thanks for straightening me out on not understanding what I was even talking about!
Is it possible for me to tie my trans temp gauge light in with my headlights? It cannot be enough current to hurt.
Right now it is on with the fog lights. The guy owns a shop and does alarms and tint here in vegas so I believed what he told me.
I took it to him because I was getting strange voltages at the switch.
He told me I could not attach it to the headlights because it was a "can-bus"

Thanks for any help you can give me