3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rich fuel code still show after many replacements plz help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 07:02 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vehicle will stop checking systems when it finds a code. Once the code is corrected it may take several key cycles to finish the checking the other systems. You code could be due to a bad coolant temp sensor. If the PCM thinks the engine is too cold it will ADD fuel to warm it up. Not sure on the 4.7 some use 2 sensors, one for the gauge one for the PCM. Also Dodge uses MASS sensors not MAF.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:40 AM
Deborah Pushka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by p38251
The vehicle will stop checking systems when it finds a code. Once the code is corrected it may take several key cycles to finish the checking the other systems. You code could be due to a bad coolant temp sensor. If the PCM thinks the engine is too cold it will ADD fuel to warm it up. Not sure on the 4.7 some use 2 sensors, one for the gauge one for the PCM. Also Dodge uses MASS sensors not MAF.
Sorry i must of read repair manual wrong on the mass sensor.

Ok will replace that sensir the temo sensor soon.
Now wondering if there was a connection to this. When we got the vehicle there was a blown head gasket that we were able to repair with the aid if head gasket sealent. Now during that whole time before we used it and after not once did the vehicle overheat. It always stayed at middle. Any chance this was faulty back then? Cause i notice if i drive truck on hiway for about 15-20 min i get that up and down rpm. Any chance of it being faulty way back?

Old 11-11-2016, 10:07 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the vehicle should do rationality checks of the temp sensors comparing iat and ect readings after a cool down period. You can do the same thing with a scan tool....after the vehicle has sat overnight...key on engine off...view the live data for all temp sensors...ambient, trans fluid, intake air and coolant...they should all be close to each other.

head gasket repairs in a can are snake oil, sketchy at best. coolant poisoning of the 02 sensors is the only head gasket related issue to fuel trim i can think of.