3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS Lights on and No Parking Break

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 11:08 AM
gunclubchamp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Lights on and No Parking Break

Would my parking break light and ABS light on my dash come on if I don't have parking breaks.
Here's the deal. I don't have a diagnostic tool (I know, don't start spending money unless you know what the problem is) because I am a new "do it myself" mechanic and am just learning the importance of a diagnostic tool. Never once thought about getting it "coded", well until now. But, I read all the forums about the abs sensors and first replaced the rear differential abs sensor on my 2005 Ram 2500. Lights still on. Bought both the front sensors and replaced them, lights still on. When removing my calipers, it seemed both were not retracting all the way, so replaced both of them. This morning when I was moving the truck so my wife could go to work, I parked it in the drive way and pressed the parking break. It went completely to the floor and no breaks. I didn't have time to check the parking break because I had to go to work. Now, before I start spending more money I wonder if not having parking breaks could somehow make the parking break light and ABS light come on. It might be a long shot, but thought that while I am at work I would check with the experts (Dodge Forum members) first, just in case I needed to start looking there too. I have a friend that has a diagnostic tool and am hoping to meet up with him this weekend to have it "coded". Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Old 02-10-2017, 11:16 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Whenever there is an ABS code, the ABS and Brake lights will come on. That light you call a "park brake light" is driven by parking brake and low brake fluid (both solo brake light) and both when there is an ABS code.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:20 AM
gunclubchamp

Thanks TNtech for the response. So, just to be clear, having a Parking Break system failure will not produce the ABS light on my dash?

Old 02-10-2017, 11:23 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gunclubchamp
Thanks TNtech for the response. So, just to be clear, having a Parking Break system failure will not produce the ABS light on my dash?

No. On yours park brake is all mechanical.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 AM
gunclubchamp

Thank you again!!

Old 10-10-2019, 07:06 PM
BigMike@1985

I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota 3.9 2 Wheel Dr. sport ABS and brake lights are on it said I had a bad speed sensor I replace the speed sensor on the rear differential I also replaced the speedometer sensor the break light and ABS light are still on they will not go off

Old 10-10-2019, 08:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,200 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike@1985
I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota 3.9 2 Wheel Dr. sport ABS and brake lights are on it said I had a bad speed sensor I replace the speed sensor on the rear differential I also replaced the speedometer sensor the break light and ABS light are still on they will not go off
You want to be in the second gen Dakota section, and start your own thread.

The following users liked this post:
Firefighter555 (11-06-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:37 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It’s Brake, not break!! 2nd grade english!