3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS and brake lights on - tried everything

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 05:34 PM
valkadesh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and brake lights on - tried everything

2003 dodge ram 5.7 Hemi 2wd with 4 wheel ABS. Brake light and ABS lights are on. Pulled ABS code and it stated "front left sensor circuit failure"

- Brake lights work and rear sensor was recently replaced.
- Speedo and cruise work fine
- Brake and ABS trouble lights are on all the time as soon as you turn the ignition on, they never turn off.
- Checked the OHM readings on both front sensors at the ABS module. Front left is ~1050 and Front right is ~1150. Based on my knowledge both are in an acceptable range.

I'm at a loss as to what else to try. The truck drives fine with no other issues. I've searched and searched, and i can't come up with any more ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

The left front sensor isn't doing it's job. Likely need to replace it, which probably means hub/bearing unit.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:15 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Resistance reading is isn't even part of the diag procedure. It's basically process of eliminating the circuit or the ABS module as the cause, and of course a visual inspection.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:07 PM
valkadesh
Default Update

So i took the advice in this thread, ordered a whole new Moog wheel bearing, hub, sensor assembly for the front driver's side. Installed it, cycled the key a few times until it said "done", drove it about 4 miles, and no change, the light is still on "front left sensor circuit failure".

I have no idea what else to try at this point. Any other thoughts? This is driving me up a wall.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:59 AM
KJINTF

Not sure of your 4 channel ABS system since mine is a 3 channel system
Sensor in each front wheel and one in the rear differential

The ABS Controller does a 2 second check each time the key is turned on - ABS light and Brake light are both on then off if OK.

Mine had a flashing brake light which was simply a poor connection on the grounding switch on the parking brake.

What kind of "Code reader" are you using? Can it clear the DTC?
Do you have access to a DRBIII I found it VERY helpful in these cases
Take a look at the stored and active DTC's

Old 06-13-2017, 09:05 AM
valkadesh

You're correct, it's a 3 sensor system. One on each front wheel hub and a third on top of the rear pumpkin.

I'm using a cheap Innova 3030g to pull the ABS code. However i don't get a code number, just the message that the code is "front left sensor circuit failure." At this point i'm wondering if the code is accurate.

I did check to ensure my brake lights work and they do. Like you said though, i suppose that sensor could be bad.

However, i'm sick of just throwing parts at this thing.

My only other option is to take it to the dealership (which i dread like no other), to have them scan it with their DRBIII.

I'm not sure i have any other options.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Independent shops should have a scanner that can do ABS as well. Snap-On makes some truly awesome stuff, and the independent shops can actually buy it. Unlike the DRB, et. al.

If you could get a scanner that would allow you to read the ABS data, it would be interesting to see what the left front sensor was reporting. If anything.... May want to check the truck side of the harness, and see if there isn't a pinched wire somewhere.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:52 PM
valkadesh

I'll check with my local shop first and see what type of capabilities they have. I did already check all the wiring and it's perfect, no pinches or bare wires.

If the local shop doesn't feel up to it or have a great way to read data, I suppose I'll find a local dealership to take a look (and do the airbag recall!)