3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lug pattern...general HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Ram-
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool lug pattern...general HELP!

First time poster/user....go easy! Where to begin...Well, I'll start at the purchase of my Ram. It's an 04 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7L Hemi.

When I found this truck on Craigslist it was advertised with 22" black powder coat rims and new tires. The wheel well covers were matching black and it looked awesome!

Long story not as long...the drivers front tire literally came off while driving. The adapters used to mount the 22's were apparently not correct. The adapter lugs snapped off and I had a 3 legged truck.

I had the factory, or what the dealer from Craigs said were factory, rims and tires mounted on the truck to get back to work. They look stupid. They are 17" rims which look undersized and the wheel well covers flare out so it actually makes it look like the tires are small AND inset.

My 1st question is: If I want say...20" 5x5.5 (139.7) rims that match the lug pattern do I also need to be aware of the hub shaft or whatever it is? And if I see rims that have a conversion adapter how can I be certain I'm not going to end up on my *** while driving and a tire goes in someones lawn? Thanks!

Old 06-06-2017, 07:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Yes, need to pay attention to the hub diameter as well.

Lots to consider with purchasing rims.... Backspacing, and width being right up there on the list.

You want to post questions/problems in the Third Gen Ram section.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Ram-
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. It seems like I need to do some homework! Can I move this thread to the right location or do I need to make a new one?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I'll go ahead and move it for you.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:43 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Start here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...dodge-ram.html

All spacers are not equal -- you get what you pay for in this department. Avoid if possible and get something with the correct backspacing for the width and diameter of the wheel.