3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough Idle After head gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 01:27 AM
T99X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle After head gasket replacement

Im working on a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7 in it, i did head gaskets on it, new valve cover gaskets, new intake gaskets, new injector o-rings, new plugs, and a new thermostat and rad cap. And yes, i installed everything properly and it was all torqued correctly, after all this work the truck starts and idles like crap, it sounds like its loping like it has a big cam in it. I have checked and set the timing properly several times, but too no avail... when i rev the truck up it smooths out and sounds normal, i hooked the scanner up and got no codes, but the STFT was -30 indicating that it was running very rich at idle, also the ignition advance was jumping around at idle, but once again that all smooths out like normal when i rev it up. I have already checked for any vaccum leaks, (even though that would make it lean) i have cleaned the TPS and MAF, all electrical connectors are in the proper place, i have also cleaned the EGR good, engine shakes at idle and runs bad, but smooths out when revs, but theres NO codes!! I am sick of working on this P.O.S i have worked on a lot of vehicles and equipment, but this dodge was a real pain... Any REAL help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

At idle
At idle

Last edited by T99X; 06-28-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

How many miles on the truck?

I assume there is an O2 sensor for each bank? Have you tried unplugging them, and see if it runs any better? (that WILL set a code.)

Old 06-28-2017, 11:16 AM
T99X

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How many miles on the truck?

I assume there is an O2 sensor for each bank? Have you tried unplugging them, and see if it runs any better? (that WILL set a code.)
havent tried it yet, but i will today. I just thought the O2's where just reading the rich condition. 146,000 on the clock

Old 06-28-2017, 12:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

They may be lying to the PCM...... Unfortunately, the PCM wouldn't be able to tell that. Unplugging them either eliminates them as possible problems, or, confirms that they ARE the problem.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:36 PM
T99X

They may be lying to the PCM...... Unfortunately, the PCM wouldn't be able to tell that. Unplugging them either eliminates them as possible problems, or, confirms that they ARE the problem.
I unplugged all 4 oxygen sensors and no change, still runs bad, although, i did notice that the bank 2 exhaust was considerably cooler than bank 1, so maybe its running lean for some reason, still not sure why the fuel trims are so rich, but still no codes.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Because they are still within an acceptable range.

Did a gasket slip out of place on assembly?

Old 06-28-2017, 05:32 PM
T99X

Because they are still within an acceptable range.

Did a gasket slip out of place on assembly?
I dont think so, there was dowel pins holding the gasket in place, its almost like theres a misfire at idle but theres not or else it would set a code.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:01 PM
T99X

Any more help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-29-2017, 09:32 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2 things to check. the gasket around the throttle body to manifold, also even though you cleaned the tps, it may be worth a shot to purchase a new one, along with a crank shaft one to. also after rebuild you may need to start and stop truck 3 times, after the third time leave truck running so it will relearn all the new parameters and smooth it self out.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:01 AM
T99X

Originally Posted by superdak05
2 things to check. the gasket around the throttle body to manifold, also even though you cleaned the tps, it may be worth a shot to purchase a new one, along with a crank shaft one to. also after rebuild you may need to start and stop truck 3 times, after the third time leave truck running so it will relearn all the new parameters and smooth it self out.
Thanks for the reply! I will try this.