3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Differential replacement/rebuild Question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 06:19 PM
Stephen Moore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Differential replacement/rebuild Question.

Hello. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi sport. So I have been hearing a clunking noise when going around turns and going in reverse. Took it to dealership and had a few master techs drive it. They put it on the lift, pulled the diff cover and seen teeth broke off. They told me I needed a whole new rear end, the rear end would cost $1899, $500 labor. I will attach two pictures of what I was shown. Why would I need a whole rear end? I've talked to a few people and they told me I could just buy a rebuild kit for cheap. I know nothing about a rear end. Would appreciate any advice on what I should do and if they were correct on needing a whole rear end.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Tear it down, clean it out, replace the spiders, and whatever bearings don't look perfect. Or, just do a master kit, and replace ALL the bearings in the diff. You don't need the whole thing, they are just trying to rape you.