3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New please help thumping noise

Old 08-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Jkerem
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New please help thumping noise

Hi all

New here to the forums and to the dodge truck world in general. I have always had a thing for duallies, especially ones that have semi wheels, dropped, and are diesel. Well the time has finally come to where I needed to buy a truck that could pulls my car to shows. being a lover of duallies and diesel I kinda new what I was looking for.

I came across a 2005 3500 2wd drw that really caught my eye, I'm sure the 24in semi wheels had something to so with it or the fact that it was a 6spd manual transmission. After a lot of going back and forth with the owner and having a friend who was local to the seller look at the truck I pulled the trigger and purchased said truck. I had a friend who drove me 3hrs southwest to pickup the truck. When we got there we were both suprised with the truck and how good and massive it looked. After shooting the ****, transferring of funds and titles we were on our way. I pretty much took the truck on a 3hour test drive. by the time I got home everything was good except one thing that still wasn't bad enough for me to list to the truck for sale.

So now we are at the point where I need some serious help. I'm mechanically inclined but for the life of me can't figure this one out....Driving the truck straight (any speed) there is a "thump thump thump" noise that sounds rotational coming from the floor boards. It seems that at lower speeds its louder then at higher speeds. when you turn the wheel to the LEFT the noise get a lot more pronounced, you turn the wheel to the RIGHT and it disappears, back to straight and it appears again. The day after I got the truck I text the previous owner and asked if he knew what it was and he told me he and his mechanic were both unsure but aware of the noise. He also told me that everything in the front end was replaced minus the bearings and the lower controls and bushings.

A week after ownership of the truck I can say I'm super happy with my purchase and that my only complaint is this THUMPING noise. I was finally able to jack the truck up off the ground front and rear. I checked the front end for play bearing and tie rod up/down left/right and both sides are 100% tight. I spun the front wheels, the right was quiet however the left side have a sorta chalky/dirty sound. Im leaning towards just replacing both hub assemblies but I'm not 100% sure those are my problem.

Ive done a lot of searching and really coming up sort with info specific to 2WD trucks. Any help would be great.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

I do believe you have unit bearings up front as well. If the hub/bearings haven't been replaced yet, that would be a VERY good place to start. I would start with the passenger side..... as given your symptoms, that is the one being noisey. (even though it sounds/feels fine on the jack....)

Welcome to DF!

Old 08-26-2017, 08:38 AM
dodgeman1977
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought here, you said the hoses were rusted and broke off the rack. When you replaced the hoses did you clear the fittings on the rack? Maybe some debris got in the fitting.

Search this Thread