3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

When does your gas light ding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 10:05 PM
cjmrdc
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When does your gas light ding?

26 gallons is the capacity of THE TANK, it does not include the filler neck, what's in the lines or the pump at the time, or anything else, it's the TANK, the way people overfill, is by filling the next all the way up to the overflow point, i do it too - it's alot easier to see how much gas you have on a bike, hell - you sit right over the hole while you fill it up (well, most of us sport guys do, we sit on the bike to keep it upright to get that last little bit that's an air bubble if your bike is on it's kickstand), and in the same way, truck and car owners (myself included), get extra, think about how much pipe is between that 26 gallon tank and where you're sticking the money pumper

Old 12-12-2005, 03:46 PM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When does your gas light ding?

You guys are right about the fuel pump staying cool and all. And that might be more important in southern or western states, but in Michigan, I don't worry about it. This truck is my 5th vehicle since I started driving in 1996. In that time I have racked up more than 200,000 miles (all on mopars), and I have filled them all the same way. I used to work at a Mopar dealer, I've worked for the Chrysler Proving Grounds, and I've never had a problem. I know my Mopars. People say also not to fill them up past "the click" of the station pump cause the gauge float might stick.... well maybe in a rusty old car that has been abused, and not taken care of. Either way, fuel systems (tanks included) hold more fuel than they are rated for. I just read an article about jeep wrangler fuel tanks. Turns out that the YJ's had the same tank through production, but for certain years they are rated at 15 gallons, and others have 20 gallons (same tank). It seems all you have to do to get the other 5 gallons back, is trim the vent hose down, and Viola! Instant larger tank for no cost. Auto manufactures do some weird stuff sometimes...

Quick Reply: When does your gas light ding?