3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0501 (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 04:38 PM
aphroditus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0501 (solved)

I was playing around with an aftermarket switch installed in a second-hand truck (2003 Dodge Ram 1500) that I had just bought. I noticed the ABS/BRAKE warning lights come on, and the truck was throwing P0501. After wading through forums here and on other sites I tried just about everything from resetting the computer, to clearing codes, to checking fuses, to checking the speed sensor on the pumpkin. All to no avail.

Symptoms
--------------
ABS/Brake warning light on
CEL on
Reverse Lights not working
Speedometer not working
Odometer not working

Cure
--------
Fuse #3 was fried.

I looked at the fuse multiple times and it looked fine. I must be blind, but after looking at the fuses for the 3rd time in the afternoon sun, I finally noticed it was fried. Here's the link that finally convinced me to re-check my fuses: https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/5ii...no-speedo.html

I'm posting this because it took me hours of searching to come across the fix for my truck, hopefully this will help someone. And hopefully I'll check fuses a little closer next time..

Old 11-19-2017, 10:50 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the update.

Old 11-21-2020, 05:48 PM
NOOR AUTO
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aphroditus
I was playing around with an aftermarket switch installed in a second-hand truck (2003 Dodge Ram 1500) that I had just bought. I noticed the ABS/BRAKE warning lights come on, and the truck was throwing P0501. After wading through forums here and on other sites I tried just about everything from resetting the computer, to clearing codes, to checking fuses, to checking the speed sensor on the pumpkin. All to no avail.

Symptoms
--------------
ABS/Brake warning light on
CEL on
Reverse Lights not working
Speedometer not working
Odometer not working

Cure
--------
Fuse #3 was fried.

I looked at the fuse multiple times and it looked fine. I must be blind, but after looking at the fuses for the 3rd time in the afternoon sun, I finally noticed it was fried. Here's the link that finally convinced me to re-check my fuses: https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/5ii...no-speedo.html

I'm posting this because it took me hours of searching to come across the fix for my truck, hopefully this will help someone. And hopefully I'll check fuses a little closer next time..
I know this is an old post, but i thought i may help someone else with the same problem. I was getting the P0501 on a 2004 ram 1500. Speedo was bouncing while truck was just setting idling and ABS light was on. after diagnostics, I found the speed sensor on the diff was damaged along with a bad previous wiring repair on sensor plug. I repaired wiring and replaced sensor. All was fixed

The following users liked this post:
lxman1 (11-29-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 08:28 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 232 Likes on 212 Posts

Quick Reply: P0501 (solved)