3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Detroit Truetrac questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Detroit Truetrac questions

Hey has anyone installed a Detroit Truetrac in their truck? It looks like this is the closest to a selectable locker that is available for the Chrysler 9.25 (I know it is an LSD ). I have the Lock-Right No-Slip in my old Dodge truck and it does work great as it is a true locker, but its street manners suck. I want to see if the detroit truetrac is as gental as a normal LSD is on the street. Also, from what I have read it is not a 50/50 which makes a locker, but can get 60/40 which puts it closer to a LSD but better. For those who use it off-road does it give you enough traction when offroad? Any other options for a selectable locker for the Chry 9.25 that I don't know of?

Old 11-21-2017, 10:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

The truetrac is a geared LSD, so, no clutches to wear out, no requirements for special additives, etc. It isn't as robust as the detroit locker, but, road manners are MUCH better. The military likes them in the H1 hummers, and I haven't seen anyone complaining about manners, or performance..... So, as an alternative to a locker, it is actually pretty good.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:51 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya for this truck I need good street manners due to my wife may need to drive it every now and then, and I don't want her to have to baby the way she drives it.
I can't believe after all these years the 9.25 has been around they are no selectable lockers available. ARB was in process of making one, but that was 10 years ago, I guess they dumped the project.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:00 AM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If you don't want a auto locker in the rear then the truetrack is the next best choice. It isn't a locker it is a limited slip that uses gears to transfer torque to the wheel with more traction. It is very street friendly and smoother than a clutch type lsd. The only drawback is that each wheel has to have some traction for it to be able to transfer torque, so if you have a wheel in the air or on slick ice it won't be able to transfer enough torque to the other wheel, in this type of situation you can apply the brakes to put some resistance on the spinning wheel so it can transfer torque to the other wheel that has traction.