3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Ram1500 Hood No Longer "Pops" Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:45 PM
Panama_Bob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Ram1500 Hood No Longer "Pops" Up

When I pull the hood release, the hood no longer "pops" up out of the primary hood latch, rather it just sits in its cradle. This requires me to hold the release lever in the cab while someone lifts up the hood to get it out of the primary latch and then the secondary latch can be released. I am thinking that the hood bumper (Part# 17 on the drawing - MOPAR Part# 55276851AA) has become deformed and no longer serves it purpose of providing the push up action on the hood to free it from the primary latch when the hood release is pulled.

2004 Ram1500 Hood No Longer "Pops" Up-hood_bumper_01.jpg
2004 Ram1500 Hood No Longer "Pops" Up-hood_bumper_02.jpg
2004 Ram1500 Hood No Longer "Pops" Up-hood_parts.png

Am I on the right track for resolving this issue?

Thanks in advance..

Old 01-12-2018, 07:29 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

Spray WD40 on it,,that will break the crap loose,Hinges springs and cable.Work it after the spray,you should see improvment.Just a thought................

Old 01-12-2018, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

WD 40 doesn't work nearly as well as PB Blaster...... The PB is actually designed to break down rust. WD is not. So, spray it down with PB REALLY well, work the mechanism a bunch, then spray some white lithium grease on it.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Panama_Bob

I did as HeyYou & Cruzer suggested (I used PB Blaster) and got the primary latch to stay open without having to jam a spacer behind the hood release lever in the cab like I had to before. I exercised the latching mechanism several times and sprayed more PB every 3-4 times I opened the latch to work out the gunk. I will put grease on the latching assembly in the morning after PB has a chance to work a little longer. Great tip guys - Thanks!

The hood still does not come out of the primary latch like it did when the truck was new(er) and I believe this is due, at least in part, to the now deformed rubber bumper on the underside of the hood itself. It seems logical that this flexible rubber bumper would be under a little compression when the hood is closed (I can see rubber residue at the landing zone of the bumper on the frame behind the latch) and provides a slight lifting force to the hood when the primary latch is opened. I ordered a replacement bumper online and hopefully this will fully return the hood to opening as it did before.

Quick Reply: 2004 Ram1500 Hood No Longer "Pops" Up