3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suspension Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 09:30 PM
rob0225
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension Rebuild?

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with 166k miles on it. For the most part I've taken care of it and cosmetically it is in very good condition but I've never done any suspension work besides brakes and tires. The truck simply isn't riding as comfortable as I'd like and I want to rebuild the suspension using OEM parts. Not really looking to upgrade the suspension unless the upgrade is comparable cost wise with original. I can do the work, but not real sure what I need to replace based upon the age and miles on the truck. I know there may be some things that don't need replaced but will go ahead while I'm doing the work.

Would appreciate any input into what suspension components I need to look at replacing.

Thanks!!

Robert

Old 03-06-2018, 11:03 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Shocks,upper and lower ball joints. Tie rods if Here is any play in them. And control and m bushings. If They seem bad

Old 03-07-2018, 12:47 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rtmtrrdr
Shocks,upper and lower ball joints. Tie rods if Here is any play in them. And control and m bushings. If They seem bad
Plus: Your shocks are worn out so anything new will feel much better. I will plug in there to look no further than the Rancho RS5000 shocks for your truck. Reasonable cost and very significant improvement in the ride over oem and other offerings. There are other options, which I've tried across quite a few trucks, my experience brings me back the RS5000 for my trucks and Bilsteins for the SUV and cars. (imho)

Old 03-07-2018, 03:16 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sway bar bushing and links added to the list above if your doing everything.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:01 AM
MikeCornville
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first post here.

I've done this, and my truck now runs like new. Regretfully the first time through I did NOT buy all moog parts. I had to go back and replace the parts that didn't hold up. So my recommendation is if you are going to do it, just buy the Moog parts up front. I also 2nd the RS5000 shocks, which I used - they're great.

But if you're doing this, I'd strongly recommend doing the wheel bearings at the same time. You'll have everything torn apart anyway, and at that point it's trivial, and your wheel bearings are likely toast too. Mine were, and my leaf springs in the back were as well. So I just went all out.

The end result is kinda funny. I bought this truck for my daughter, and I had a 2016 big horn 1500 with the coil springs in the back. When I completed this work on my 2004 it handled the road better with my 3 horse trailer than the 2016. My daughter decided she really wanted a small car... so guess which truck I sold? The 2016 Ram. With the new general springs in the back, the RS5000 shocks, and all the new moog parts above, this truck is a beast. Even though it has 172K on it. Not worried, the oil is still clean every oil change. And if the engine blows up - big deal I can get a better remanufactured one for 3500 with a 3 year million mile warranty.

I say go for for it, just do it with the right parts.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:01 PM
rob0225
Amateur

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I've got all the parts on order. Went with the Rancho shocks and MOOG suspension parts except for the lower control arms (could only find Dorman). Oddly enough prices were much cheaper through Amazon, especially when factoring in free shipping.

Anyway, I plan on replacing the bearing and hub assemblies while I have everything apart but I'm a little confused on which ones to get. As I understand it all trucks after a certain year have rear wheel ABS (mine is 2005 Dodge Ram Quad SLT RWD)? I've looked at each front and rear wheel assembly and there are no additional wires running to the hub, only the brake line.

When I look for the hub assemblies the options are 2 wheel ABS or 4 wheel ABS and the ABS assembly has a cable, but I have no cables going to any of my hub assemblies.

Thanks again.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:09 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran

Getting from your last post that this is a 2wd truck? No sensors on the front hubs at all? There should be one on the front drivers only. There are no wires running to the each rear wheel. The sensor for the rear is a single one, threaded into the top of the differential in the middle of the truck.

Practically, it actually doesn't really matter if you buy hubs with the sensors. They are all the same size and same bolting. Just do not connect the wire. When I did my hubs, the sensor hubs were in stock and were actually quite a bit cheaper than trying to get the non sensor hubs brought in. So I bought two sensor hubs. Only the one on the drivers side is connected.
S: for the hubs, just goto your local NAPA store. Common stocked item, with warranty.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 03-15-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:25 PM
rob0225
Amateur

no longer need answer for this question. Tahnks.

Last edited by rob0225; 03-19-2018 at 06:29 PM. Reason: NO longer need answer
Old 03-25-2018, 09:56 PM
rob0225
Amateur

Finished this job up yesterday and had new tires and alignment done at local tire shop today. Truck rides like new!!!! I appreciate all the help and advice provided from those on here. It was a bit of a learning curve initially, but once one side was done, the other side when much easier and quicker. Probably the hardest part was removing the old front wheel hubs. They were seized in the hubs and no amount of banging was going to get them out. Ended up using a technique I saw on the internet using a harmonic wheel puller from Autozone. Just worked it around the hub against the steering knuckle and it eventually came out.

Very interesting experience and enjoyed doing the work myself and probably saved a crap-ton of money. I did under estimate the time required, ended up using a full day for rear and a day for each size on the front.

Replaced Upper and Lower Control Arms, tie rods, shocks, stabilizer bar bushings, rear axle bearings, rotors, brake pads, parking brakes and front wheel hubs.

Again, appreciate all the help and questions answered!

Robert

Old 03-26-2018, 02:30 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran

Great news! Awesome!

Quick Reply: Suspension Rebuild?