3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to "bullet-proof" my 4wd drive train?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 11:51 AM
MikeCornville
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to "bullet-proof" my 4wd drive train?

I am interested in bullet-proofing my drivetrain. What would it take? Performance axles? Bolt locker? All new assemblies?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'd like to come out at the other end of this with a 4.56 drive train built like a brick outhouse.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

What are you starting with?

Old 03-23-2018, 03:12 PM
MikeCornville
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock drivetrain with LSD and 3.92 gearing.

I have new HD leaf springs installed from general springs in back, and new Rancho 5000s all the way around. I replaced the front ball joints (upper and lower), tie rods, tie rod ends, and stabilizer link bars and stabilizer bar bushines with Moog parts. New hubs in front.

I have a box in my garage from Power Stop with the Fleet Duty rotors and pads for front and rear. Was putting them on this weekend.

And other than that... nothing else. Bone stock drive train.

I want this truck to be able to tow up to 7000 lbs all the time with great handling and rock solid durability. My extended family will be in the trailer - our horses.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:49 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cooling and oil condition is crucial to the driveline for that trailer. This is often overlooked.

A suggestion is to add a transmission oil temperature gauge. There are pods that can be tastefully added to the steering column or the pillar.
https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-15012-Steering-Column/dp/B000CMDE1S/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1521909752&sr=1-4&keywords=Dodge+Ram+gauge+pod https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-15012-Steering-Column/dp/B000CMDE1S/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1521909752&sr=1-4&keywords=Dodge+Ram+gauge+pod
https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-ZL39BD1AA-Pillar-Handle-Single/dp/B006HD1GCK/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1521909780&sr=1-7&keywords=Dodge+Ram+gauge+pod https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-ZL39BD1AA-Pillar-Handle-Single/dp/B006HD1GCK/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1521909780&sr=1-7&keywords=Dodge+Ram+gauge+pod

Depending on the age of the truck (is this your '04?) it is also a good idea to replace the fan clutch to ensure that maximum cooling is happening. Old clutches either fade out in performance or they lock up. Usually they fade to point where they are not doing a whole lot. A new HD severe duty clutch is always good thing to do

The Ram comes with a dedicated transmission cooler. May be worth considering replacing it with one of a larger capacity. The need would be dictated by the temperatures you see on that new gauge while towing on a hot day.

There may be some solenoid pack or sensors mods available for the transmission. These are designed around attempts at increasing the oil pressure on the transmission plates to reduce slippage. I do not know anything them other than to mention them. Others may comment in detail about this.

When you are towing, always run with the tow/haul button on, regardless of terrain. Do not be tempted to go normal mode on the flats.

Check the oil transmission condition frequently and change it often (full flush). Use only Mopar filters and Mopar fluid in the transmission.

Check and change the rear differential oil more often. Use synthetics. 75W90 in the front. 75W140 in the rear.

Transfer case. Really not much going on there to be concerned about. May eventually need to replace main bearings. Otherwise, just check and change the fluid. (ATF)

Drive shafts. The universal joints on the rear drive shaft will have shortened life. Expect that. Not a big deal. They are easy to change and are inexpensive. Grease them often. The front drive shaft may eventually give trouble at the CV joint on that shaft. At that time you can replace just the CV with a kit from Dorman, or replace the whole shaft in kind, or replace the whole shaft with a double cardan type if such a thing exists for the Ram1500.

Other than those few notes, by far the best of all modifications and upgrades will be establishing good driving habits that caretake the driveline and keep it well maintained through frequent service checks. For those folks who have limited experience with towing, it is a good idea to look into towing safety training. Lots of great vehicle setup tips and driving habits are covered in such training.

Hope some of that helps!

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 03-24-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: How to "bullet-proof" my 4wd drive train?