3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7l Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 03:52 PM
kameljoe21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7l Cruise Control

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab ST 4WD 5.7l Hemi

Couple of Questions.

I ordered some fleabay cruise control switches. These are the right switches, besides my wire harness is the wrong one. Photos to follow.
I called my local salvage yard ( 100 miles away ) and he was able to pull 2 wire harness and a set of switches. I will include photos of those.
Now that I have the right switches and installed them pretty easy.
My dodge uses torque screws, 2 small screws for the blanks ( this did not require me to turn the steering wheel at all ) once the blanks are removed it will expose the 2 screws for the air bag, I did not unhook the battery from the truck during this, On my dodge there are 2 wires coming off the air bag, one is for the air bag and the other for the horn. There are 2 white plugs on each side to hook in cruise control switches. The cruise control plugs and wire harnnes also loops in the horn plug and then a black ( I think color blind might be brown...) plug that is in the steering wheel, The Yellow plug in the steering wheel if for the air bag ( this takes a little bit to remove it by using a pick or small flat head by pressing on each side of the T and pulling it out.)

Now for the questions...
When I turn the key on in my dodge it lights up the cruise indicator.
This means the fuse is good?
When the switches are installed it has no change.
When I press the cruise on button. It does not do anything.
Before I attempt to go and spend a crap ton of money by getting ripped off at the local dealer I want to make sure the cruise control servo is installed.
Where is the cruise control servo located at. A photo is included of one found on Amazon.
Any other things I should seek out before I get ripped off from the dealer, because I know they like to tell us that this wont work and want us to pay a crap ton of money for parts we do not need.

Mopar 2003-2006 Dodge Ram 1500 2500 3500 Mopar Chrysler Dodge Jeep Cruise Control Servo Speed $81.79 & FREE Shipping

Switches ordered off fleabay This shows the back side and that they are the 2 pin type that goes with the wire harnesses that is shown in another photo. Also note that the far right hole is the screw hole.

switches from junk yard

steering wheel that shows the white plug. Also note on the far right side that the metal tabs are where the air bag bolts in and just below that is the plastic housing where the switches screw in

Steering wheel example

Cruise control wire harness that does not have horn plug will fit switches I ordered off fleabay. Not sure what unit this was pulled from.

Example of steering wheel, white and wires are what I needed.

switches off fleabay

This is the correct wire harnesses that is in my dodge. This one has the 2 white plugs or cruise control, the main plug that plugs in to the steering wheel and the horn plug. This unit came out of something at the junk yard and this unit can be found in a 2003 dodge ram base model that does not have cruise control.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

You don't wanna play with the air bag while the derm is still charged, that is incredibly dangerous, and can kill you. I have seen this happen. Disconnect the batter, and then leave it sit for 10 minutes. That *should* discharge the derm, and make it safe to play with the air bag. (DERM: digital energy reserve module, this is the feller that actually fires the air bag.)

As for your cruise problem, you need to either test the harness, and make sure it is sending the correct signals to the PCM, or, plug in a scanner, and read the results directly. Service manual will have details on what needs to happen for each button press.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:24 PM
kameljoe21

Originally Posted by HeyYou
As for your cruise problem, you need to either test the harness, and make sure it is sending the correct signals to the PCM, or, plug in a scanner, and read the results directly. Service manual will have details on what needs to happen for each button press.
What kind of scanner, I am assuming not one of those cheap ones? Are you talking about one of those expensive snap on or like brand scanners?

Old 05-19-2018, 10:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Gonna need to be a fairly high zoot feller, I doubt the 30 dollar parts store scanners will go that deep, but, worth askin' them.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:25 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can tell you did ZERO research prior to tackling this, or you would know there isn't a servo LMAO
Fly-by-wire, which means it has an electronic throttle body....give you three guesses what controls an ELECTRONIC THROTTLE BODY...

Old 05-20-2018, 05:04 PM
kameljoe21

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
I can tell you did ZERO research prior to tackling this, or you would know there isn't a servo LMAO
Fly-by-wire, which means it has an electronic throttle body....give you three guesses what controls an ELECTRONIC THROTTLE BODY...
Then give some help instead of being an ***.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:11 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kameljoe21
Then give some help instead of being an ***.
I was considering it, then you wanted to call names lol. Have fun!!

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7l Cruise Control