3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spare tire question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 09:17 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spare tire question

Yeah, I spun it like 25 times counter clockwise (yes, I counted) and got under there and banged on the spare and tried to get it loose, nothing. Guess I'm gonna go play stupid at the dealership.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Avanti
Captain

Osteodoc:

As you have found (and remind us of), it is always a good idea to test these things in advance. My spare "lowerer" works just like the manual said, once I remembered to unlock and remove the anti-theft cable I'd put on it.

As for the lugnuts, I always make sure I can get them loose after ANYONE else has screwed with them. 135#? Crazy. I've yet to have a wheel come off after putting them on by hand "to feel," and i've gone over 220mph this way just fine. The only ones I torque to a spec are aluminum wheels on vehicles still under warranty.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:40 PM
HedleyLamarr
Professional

how bout this? anyone had their spare tire melted by their exhaust pipe? I did...that sure sucks

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 12-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Avanti
Captain

Hey, Hedley:

My "spare tire" could use a little melting. But, I'm not sure I want anyone to do it with their "exhaust pipe!"

Old 12-06-2005, 01:18 AM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HedleyLamarr

how bout this? anyone had their spare tire melted by their exhaust pipe? I did...that sure sucks

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]
What brand exhaust was it?

Old 12-06-2005, 12:51 PM
HedleyLamarr
Professional

Flowmaster....it was just a softball-sized section in the tread...not melted all the way through, but enough to where I had to switch it out when I got new tires a few months ago

Old 12-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Jerdog706

Now I'm wondering if maybe having a look at that setup in the daylight isn't such a bad idea. It never occurred to me that lowering a spare might give this many problems......Thanks for pointing this one out Doc

Old 12-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doc,
Please let us know how this turns out.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:12 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I will as soon as I can make it over there. I will have some time about the middle of the month. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated

Old 10-19-2007, 02:22 PM
vmi2k2

OK, I know it's an old thread, but **--bump--**

I'm having the same problem that osteodoc08 was having. The "tool" (3 bars plus the lug wrench) just does not fit down into the winch tube (or whatever the hell it's called). My real problem is that I NEED the spare tire.

I have a huge bolt in my front right tire now and cannot get my spare off to be able to at least get my truck to town. Luckily I decided to just drive it home last night and work in my garage rather than stopping on the side of the road in the dark, while it was snowing and 15 degrees outside -- I would have been royally screwed. I've searched all over for help on this and worked for three hours last night to try to get the spare off, but I can't come up with anything. The dodge 1-800 contact line was useless and no one from dodge has replied to my e-mail yet.

The service guy at my local place didn't know how to help me when I called him and said he can't really do anything unless he looks at it. I guess I'll have to pump the punctured tire back up w/air and try to drive into town this weekend to get the service guys to look at it.

I was so pissed last night that if I had gotten ahold of whoever designed this setup, I would have lowered my truck onto their head under the jack it's sitting on right now in my garage. I cannot believe they'd give you a tool of such importance to an emergency situation and it end up not being the proper tool.

If I was driving further from town right now in AK and had this problem, it could seriously turn into a life or death situation based on the winter tempuratures up here in the interior.I'm sure I could have survived on my winter kit in my truck - but it truely pisses me off to have this problem. Plus, I'm getting ready to leave for a TDY in a week and can only imagine if this happened to my wife when it's -10 outside and she was driving the truck.

Quick Reply: Spare tire question