3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blinking ABS light

Old 09-22-2018, 03:54 PM
GearMonkey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking ABS light

Hi y'all,

I had to replace the ABS module in my '02 4x4. Brake pedal was sinking to the floor, after tons of research and after replacing master, it was just the ABS box next to the battery. Ebay junk yard part for $60 fixed the issue.

Now I have to reset the ABS module? It started blinking after I put the junk yard part on. I guess is normal.

I've watched a video on YouTube that some vehicles you can un-hook pos and neg batter connectors and connect them together for 25 minutes to reset this. Not sure on 3rd gen RAM. Don't want to risk causing any issues.

Do I need a scanner or with that method work? If I need a scanner which to buy?

I own 3 RAMs all second hand 3rd GEN. I am thinking about buying another :smiley_thumbs_up: for a backup work truck. I do lawn care and pressure washing. Love these trucks!!!

Thanks for taking the time to reading my post!

And if you ever encounter a sinking brake pedal, check that ABS module. It's not common for them to go bad and they do not throw any ABS codes, but it's an easy and cheap fix (assuming you use a junk yard part).

Simply replace your brake fluid about every 75k to 100k miles and you should be fine. Mine was dirrrrty.

Video to resetting ABS:

Old 09-23-2018, 09:10 AM
KJINTF

Had the same sinking pedal issue after bleeding the brake fluid - for me it was an easy fix
Most folks assume it's the master cylinder - some times it is other times the ABS module
I have the DBRIII Chrysler scan tool which has an ABS Bleed function it's a very simple procedure to bleed the module
The procedure take no more than 2 minutes
Heard there are other ways of bleeding the module as in removing some of the plugs and pressing the brake pedal but have never tried them

Old 09-23-2018, 11:46 AM
GearMonkey

Thanks for the update. That sounds like a good tool to have, but unfortunately I can't spend $3,000 on one. I've read the $200 Autel Maxicheck will open the ABS module. But not sure. Driving on wet grass and slamming on the brakes also opens up the ABS. Bleading is really easy on these trucks with RWAL

That said, the brakes bled fine and no issues with that. The brakes work better than ever. The only issue I am having is the pesky ABS light on the dash is blinking. I don't want to drop $200 on an Autel if it doesn't reset the module (to fix the blinking light issue). And I'll let the bulb burn out before I take it to a stealership to reset it. I only value the truck at $3,500 with 150k miles. It's a work truck.

Last edited by GearMonkey; 09-23-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Done any other work to the truck lately? Brakes? Tuner? PCM??

Old 09-23-2018, 01:01 PM
GearMonkey

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Done any other work to the truck lately? Brakes? Tuner? PCM??
No. Just brakes. Replaced the master and still sinking brakes, no light. Bench tested new master cylinder and it worked fine. Ran truck for 3 weeks with sinking brakes till I found replacement ABS Module (with used part - with same part# / Exact part off same year truck). Light came on as soon as it was plugged in. That is common for blinking abs light because different module will need hard reset / codes cleared. I ran it all last week and cycled it. No luck. Disconnected battery cable for 20 minutes. No luck. I'm just not sure how to reset the ABS Module.

Truck has been rock solid otherwise.

Last edited by GearMonkey; 09-23-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

May need a scan tool to reset it.....

Old 09-23-2018, 03:09 PM
GearMonkey

That's what I'm thinking too. Was hoping there was a special trick. I'm thinking about buying the Autel Maxicheck.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably not a bad idea. If it doesn't do what you want, can always return it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blinking ABS light