3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny or transfer

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 08:00 PM
gcon4418
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny or transfer

the other day I was driving towing a trailer in my 05 3/4 ton 4x4, when all of a sudden the truck made a funny noise then major grinding I got the truck stopped.i put it in park the grinding stopped go to put it in drive and the grinding is back in all gears and the truck will not move, I crawl under the truck put my hand on the transfer case I feel a vibration and to me sounds like the grinding is in that area.and with further inspection I notice the transfer case is a little loose with at least a 1/4 inch gap on top of the transfer case where it mounts to the tranny. I tightend the case back to the tranny to no avail still grinds except when in park or the transfer case is in neutral could my output shaft of tranny not be meshing with the input of the transfer case . I am hoping some one has had this happen please any info will be great.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Gonna have to drop the t-case, and see what things look like.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:51 AM
gcon4418
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default figured it out

the looseness of the t-case caused the output shaft of the tranny and the input of the transfer to not mesh so now looking for the parts I need thank you all for the help.

Quick Reply: tranny or transfer