3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4WD hi to 4WD low

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 05:03 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4WD hi to 4WD low

You know, it's a very good thing to shift your transfer box through ALL the options it's loaded with, at least once per week and run for a few hundred yards or so.
The reason being, is that all the bearings shafts and linkages etc stick and if you work your box every few days or so, it'll help keep things moving, freed and coated with oil etc on the difficult to reach load bearing surfaces.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Verano

According to the manual, in the manually shifted transfer case, the 4L can only go up to 25 mph or does it mean that you cant shift into 4L if your going over 25 mph. Is it just me or is it written in a confusing manner?

Old 12-09-2005, 01:39 AM
05ramlaramie
Veteran

it means you should never go above 25mph while in 4LO.....and when in 4HI mode I believe you arent suppose to go past 70mph-75mph or so....even though in reality you really shouldnt go above 55-60mph in 4HI.

we all just agreed on the fact that the manual states you have to be going less than 5mph to switch into 4LO....however, once locked in 4LO you shouldnt exceed 25mph according to the manual.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:00 PM
pkodyssey

My 04 SLT QC has AWD. How that for the acronym sentence of the day?

Old 12-10-2005, 09:35 PM
southernspeed

T/cases need a 'firm' positive movement between gears. Don't hang about...especially when you're 'crossing' the nuetral position or you'll really start gear grinding! As your first reply (i think!) said, as per the manual. Just be brave and make the shift!
ORIGINAL: abarmby

Quite a lot of "differing opinion" on this one then guys.

I only asked, as there seemed to be a little stiffness getting the transfer box to change between modes. Also a sound of grinding gears, which if your not used to like myself, seems a little disconcerting to say the least.
My dad always said to me "don't force things son" and I've mostly found in life that he is correct.
Just didn't want to damage the transfer box.
Having just recently listened to another 4X4 engaging the tx box, mines quiet in comparison.
Cheers for all the replys lads,
Al.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:26 PM
abarmby
Champion

Tried the "firm handed" approach Southern and yep, it was a lot better.
Cheers mate.
BTW, how are you getting along with the wheel hop.......?
Have you got 35 psi in the tyres?
Have you LSD?
Al.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:28 AM
southernspeed

Well the whel hop will either need a lighter right foot or traction bars.....think I know which it'll be!!
35 psi all round and haven't looked into whether it lsd or not. It does spin both wheels some times but not always. I'll have to check it out.
The truck is great though, just need to get this silly grin off my face before they lock me away in an institution!!
ORIGINAL: abarmby

Tried the "firm handed" approach Southern and yep, it was a lot better.
Cheers mate.
BTW, how are you getting along with the wheel hop.......?
Have you got 35 psi in the tyres?
Have you LSD?
Al.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:17 PM
motorhead426
All Star

I'd like to clarify a lil... No big deal, but about step 3. Don't shift into drive until the little light stops blinking, otherwise it will do one of two things... Either it won't shift, or it will grind. I have the this style t-case, and the smoothest way to shift into 4LO is putting the transmission into Neutral, and select 4LO. If it does not engage with the truck stopped, make sure that you are in a position to let the truck roll a bit until it engages (it helps align the gears into mesh). 2-3 MPH is possible, but not required. On the manual T-cases, do the same thing, but if it doesn't engage with the vehicle stopped, then let it roll with normal pressure applied to the shifter, and it should go in. You should only hear grinding if you are moving too fast. Which is not the proper way to do it. This is the way we test them at the proving grounds, and this is the way I use mine.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:06 PM
05ramlaramie
Veteran

I have the electronic transfer case as i mentioned above.

Just to repeat... AWD into 4HI i can do on the fly at any speed really.

from 4HI to 4LO though...i need to switch into neutral and the 4LO light continues to blink until i get below 5mph and then i hear the gears slam into place and the 4LO becomes a steady light. same thing coming out of 4LO...i have to switch into neutral and be going less than 5mph and 4LO disengages...4HI is selected and i switch back into drive and im good.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:40 PM
motorhead426
All Star

Try to shift into 4LO stopped, that will ease that "slamming" of gears your talking about. If it does not shift into 4LO, and the light still blinks, release the brake pedal, and let the truck roll a few inches. This should make for a very smooth shift. If anything, you'll hear the motor shift into 4LO, and you shouldn't actually feel anything.