3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Grinding/clunking in 2 wheel drive, goes away in 4.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 01:14 PM
AlaskaJon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Grinding/clunking in 2 wheel drive, goes away in 4.

I have a 2002 Ram 1500, automatic transmission, 5.9 V8. Yesterday when i went to drive it, it had developed a grinding/clunking noise coming from what sounds like the front passenger side of the car. It's hard to exactly locate where the sound is coming from, but it's definitely the front. When I'm going fairly slow (<20 mph) it does it constantly and violently. I originally thought a rock may have gotten stuck under by break pad, but after driving a short distance, breaking hard, going in reverse, it's still there. I took the tire off to check the pads, and didn't notice anything. Put the tire back on, still there. For some reason, i decided to put my truck in 4x4 and the sound goes away, but comes back when i put it back in 2 wheel drive. I haven't gotten under it yet, but am looking for suggestions. I live in Alaska, so there aren't any options for salvage yards.

Like i said, i parked it and it was fine. Turned it on later that day and it had the described symptoms. No real build up from a small clunking noise to this, just boom, clunking.

With it going away in 4x4, I'm thinking maybe my transfer case? I can do a lot of mechanical stuff, but i'm in the dark on this kind of stuff. Any help would be appreciated. I found another thread, but their problem seemed to only last for a short time, mine is basically constant once i get over 10 mph. Under 10, fairly normal, over 10 awful, didn't try over 20 because of the severity of the noise (in 2 wheel drive).

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...eel-drive.html

Thanks.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:57 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Why did you post this in two different sections?

Old 11-05-2018, 05:07 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I would suggest looking at the front wheel hub and encased wheel bearing. I once had no noise or symptoms until, all of a sudden had similar symptoms except my front wheel was also locking up with no brakes applied.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:58 AM
AlaskaJon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that could have been it too, but putting it into 4x4 wouldn't fix that problem would it?

Old 11-08-2018, 12:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by AlaskaJon
I thought that could have been it too, but putting it into 4x4 wouldn't fix that problem would it?
Changes the load on the bearing. So, different or no sound isn't a surprise.

Quick Reply: Grinding/clunking in 2 wheel drive, goes away in 4.