3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalls at Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 04:02 PM
THRobinson
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stalls at Start

Had this issue in the summer, mostly only on a very hot day where I hop in the truck, turn the key, it starts and runs maybe 1 second, then dies. Sometimes takes a rev or two, or maybe just having made a few attempts, before it starts.

Took to the Dodge dealer... first time I've taken a car to a mechanic in 10yrs... and now I remembered why. Charged me $100CAD and said to replace the spark plugs. I asked for some details, they said they couldn't replicate it stalling so assumed it might be the plugs because if the original plugs they're probably due for replacement. I asked if all cylinders are firing, they didn't know. I asked if took any plugs out to see if looked old or improperly gapped. No. Cylinder pressure. No. Fuel pressure. No... they basically said that stuff takes too much time and wanted to book me for a $475CAD sparkplug change. I said No.

Winter came and I was fine for 2 months, now seems to need 3 attempts to start almost every time I get into the truck.

I came across a site, old thread, that sounds like it might be my situation. Sticky check ball in the fuel pump.

Some recommended using a fuel system cleaner additive a few times... but then a few said don't because may cause seals to go soft.

Someone recommended a $5 inline check valve spliced into the fuel line.

Just wondering, which route would you guys take? Additive/cleaner would be the easiest for sure but, possible seal damage? If going this route, any recommendations?

Inline check valve... if going that route, any suggestions on where to attach it? I assume closer to the tank not to the engine. And what size? 3/8"? 5/16"?

Old 01-10-2019, 06:30 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your fuel pressure. You can get a gauge from most auto parts places. Not completely sure what is going on from your description. Does it run and drive after the initial start and stall happens? Any loss of power or surging when it does or did run? What motor is in your truck?

Old 01-11-2019, 01:00 PM
THRobinson
Rookie

Debated getting one, but not sure which to get. Checked Amazon for example, and some kits have 10 parts some kits have 40... not sure which parts/size I would need, never tested it myself before. Lots of YouTube videos for it which is great, but again, not sure if I need the $30CAD kit or the $80CAD kit.

Not sure if the basic kit has what I need to fit my truck or not.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-14-2019, 09:14 AM
THRobinson
Rookie

Well... not sure what I need to fit the truck, and the Duralube extra strong cleaner was on sale so, put that in because I had a lot of driving this past weekend, figured be a good time to run it through.

Put it in early Friday, and since then have started the truck 8 times or more and not a single stall.

But as with all intermittent issues... I had a few days of no-stalls before then right back to stalling again. I managed to use a full tank this weekend so refilled last night with a 2nd bottle of the cleaner. I'll let it run through and I guess see how it goes. Failing that, I'll have a pressure test done. Hopefully the cheap kit has the right size fitting.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:32 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by THRobinson
Well... not sure what I need to fit the truck, and the Duralube extra strong cleaner was on sale so, put that in because I had a lot of driving this past weekend, figured be a good time to run it through.

Put it in early Friday, and since then have started the truck 8 times or more and not a single stall.

But as with all intermittent issues... I had a few days of no-stalls before then right back to stalling again. I managed to use a full tank this weekend so refilled last night with a 2nd bottle of the cleaner. I'll let it run through and I guess see how it goes. Failing that, I'll have a pressure test done. Hopefully the cheap kit has the right size fitting.
Cheap one won't work. It's not made for fuel pressure it only goes to 10PSI. Is there a Harbor Freight near you?

Old 01-14-2019, 02:38 PM
THRobinson
Rookie

Nope... wrong country. I really need a passport... about an hour from the border. Everytime I'm in a forum, for anything, harbor freight comes up.

We have a Princess Auto, which is the same thing, but 1/3 the size.

Which one at HF would work? I'm sure we have an equivalent. Lots of the stuff here is made at the same factory as where HF gets stuff at, I think ours gets painted a different colour.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:17 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Nope... wrong country. I really need a passport... about an hour from the border. Everytime I'm in a forum, for anything, harbor freight comes up.

We have a Princess Auto, which is the same thing, but 1/3 the size.

Which one at HF would work? I'm sure we have an equivalent. Lots of the stuff here is made at the same factory as where HF gets stuff at, I think ours gets painted a different colour.
You need one that goes up to about 60 psi.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:53 PM
THRobinson
Rookie

Something like this?
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8380040e

Oy... been driving now 25yrs and never needed to test the fuel pressure. May be one of those tools that gets purchased and never gets used again. Thinking probably cheaper to have a mechanic look and do the test... just not a Dodge mechanic because the one here is just awful.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:33 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Something like this?
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8380040e

Oy... been driving now 25yrs and never needed to test the fuel pressure. May be one of those tools that gets purchased and never gets used again. Thinking probably cheaper to have a mechanic look and do the test... just not a Dodge mechanic because the one here is just awful.
You can rent one from your local Auto parts store

Quick Reply: Stalls at Start