3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to reset the anti theft

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 09:21 PM
Pru
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy How to reset the anti theft

I went to start my truck and it would not start. with the key in the on position the head lights will come on and tail lights but not not the gauges. You can hear the fuel pump engage but nothing will happen. We have tried leaving the battery unhooked for a while. Any suggestions or ideas? I know the anti theft is activated but how do we reset it?

The following 4 users liked this post by Pru:
Cellobee45 (12-11-2022), Dan Boyer (05-20-2021), David Travis (02-25-2021), Thomas Suggs (05-31-2020)
Old 04-06-2019, 09:46 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I assume you checked the battery voltage ? And how do you know the anti theft is activated ?

The following users liked this post:
Adam Sorensen (07-01-2020)
Old 04-06-2019, 09:50 PM
Pru
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The voltage is 12.25. this happened once before and someone was able to reset it but that was when I was in NY and someone else did it for me. No gauges are working at all. no warning lights either but headlights and tail lights are coming on and you can hear the fuel pump engage.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:28 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional

SECURITY RESET INSTRUCTIONS

This is a generic alarm immobilizer reset procedure and it applies to most vehicles.

STEP 1: DRIVERS DOOR KEY RESET

Exit the car with all doors closed and the windows rolled up. Also close and any rear doors such as the trunk, rear hatch and front hood. Lock the car using the drivers side lock and walk away from the car at least ten feet. Wait for fifteen minutes and unlock the door, this should reset the security system.

STEP 2: ACTIVATE THE KEY FOB

Many manufactures will not allow the car to start when the panic button has been pushed. Hold down the panic button for five seconds to reset the immobilizer.

SPONSORED LINKS
Next, push the lock button two times and wait ten feet away from the car for ten minutes.

Then hit the unlock button on the fob twice this should deactivate the security system which should be accompanied by exterior lights flashing or an audible horn beep.

Each of these steps should be followed by the cancellation of the security light. If this light is blinking while you are trying to crank and start the engine the system is not reset.

SPONSORED LINKS

STEP 3: TURN THE IGNITION ON

Many immobilizer systems need to see the power utilized from each power input delivered from the ignition switch. Insert the ignition key and turn it to the on position and then attempt to start the engine (crank over), the engine wont start. With the key still in the run position wait 10 minutes and the security light should blink and then go out. Turn the key off and wait 5 seconds. Repeat these steps for a total for 3, 10 minute cycles. The car is now ready to relearn the Passlock code the next time the key is used, any trouble codes will clear after 100 cycles of the key.

STEP 4: REMOVE THE ALARM FUSE

The alarm fuse is located in the fuse panel of most cars. Using the owner's manual remove the fuse which will power down the security system. At this point the car will not start, reinsert the fuse to reactive the system. This is known as a soft reboot of the immobilizer.

STEP 5: DISCONNECT BATTERY

Sometimes the anti theft system can out of sync due to a voltage spike or an operational error. Start by removing the battery's negative cable and leave it disconnected for five minutes then reconnect the battery. This will allow the security system to perform a hard reboot and reset the alarm protocol to help the immobilizer start working in the proper sequence.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:34 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional

I dont know if it will work but worth trying, others say If you do not have the remote key fob, you should be able to reset the system by locking and unlocking the drivers door with the key.But I have heard lock it with the key then use fob to unlock , others have refereed to passenger door lock trick
And you could try this
03 DODGE RAM 1500 TRUCK AND IT WOULD NOT START, THE ANTI-THEFT LIGHT KEPT BLINKING AND MAKING NOISE ,AFTER 2 DAYS OF READING PEOPLES DIFFERENT SOLUTIONS I FINALLY FOUND ONE THAT WORKED..SO FOR ANYONE THAT IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH STARTING ISSUES DUE TO THE "ANTI-THEFT" SYSTEM ,U CAN RESET EVERYTHING HERE'S HOW : FIRST PUT YOUR KEY IN THE IGNITION IN THE "ON" POSITION , PUSH IN AND HOLD THE ODOMETER/TRIP BUTTON FOR APPROX 30 SEC , YOU WILL SEE ALL GAUGES GO UP THEN BACK DOWN, THEN A CODE WILL APPEAR ,JUST HOLD IT IN UNTIL ALL GAUGES RESET THEMSELVES, THEN THE MILEAGE WILL COME BACK

To do the gauge cluster test , turn key on but do not start at the same time holding in the reset of odometer for few sec . then release and it does a gauge test an shows c codes then clears out after all the test, turn key off then try to start , this is what reset the one above being an 03 ram

Last edited by 72rtchallenger; 04-07-2019 at 01:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
beamerboiiii95 (06-02-2023)
Old 05-18-2021, 10:09 AM
J.neil48
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get it reset?

Quick Reply: How to reset the anti theft