3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crankshaft positioning sensor issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 04:39 PM
Jeff N Diana
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft positioning sensor issues

Okay I'm having some serious crankshaft positioning sensor issues. I got it all tore apart to make it easier to get to, unbolted the old sensor and started to wiggle it out it got part way. It got stuck so I sprayed it and let it sit while I was at lunch came back worked on his a little bit more. It started to pull it out and I thought I had it until it snapped off. The magnet sensor part was still in there a little bit the rest of the sensor I have out I went to touch the magnet sensor to try to see if I could get something around it to finish prying it off and when that didn't work I searched the forums found people were tapping it with a screw pulling it out, as soon as I tried to get it drilled out to put a screw in it it's fell through and I can't see it now. What is my next step in getting this fixed so I don't screw this up anymore than it already is.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:40 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

I recommend you drain your oil and see if you get any debris. If you have a borescope you could go in from the oil drain hole and see if you can find the CPS part.
If it's in there, then you can either drive around with it for the rest of the time you own the truck, or, drop the pan and remove it.
Unlikely to hurt anything if it's sitting at the bottom of your oil pan. Oil pump pickup has a screen.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Jeff N Diana
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a friend of mine that works for the dealership that said the same thing to finally got back to me. He's going to have me button it up for the night and then he's going to bring a scope over in the morning and we're going to drain it and see what we can see and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft positioning sensor issues