3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear diff identification, new bearings for 2006 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 02:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by PlorkZ
Yeah, it does look more like the new washers are wrong, I'll see if I can find some others. If I can't get a hold of any others soon enough, would it be a big deal to just use the old washers? I'd hate to go through all this effort and have some old parts in there, but if it's a valid option I may have to.

Edit: @fj5gtx, you're right, I found these Dana washers and they appear to be what I need.
Those are for a dana 60..... I would think that a half ton truck would have the corporate 9.25 rear axle??

Old 06-21-2019, 02:47 PM
PlorkZ
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct, it's a 9.25 rear axle. I'll have to see if I can find some at a local shop and check the measurements.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:43 PM
PlorkZ
Amateur

Ok, I couldn't find any local place that had a different style of washer, so I measured the old ones and new ones with a micrometer and they were nearly identical in thickness so I went ahead and used the old washers. I have everything put back together except the brakes and tires. I'll wrap it up and do a road test later today and come back here with the results. I will also add some pics and commentary on what I did to tighten the pinion nut down to spec.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:05 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Those are for a dana 60..... I would think that a half ton truck would have the corporate 9.25 rear axle??
Dana manufactured the limited slip, I meant get the 9.25 parts from Dana.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Dana manufactured the limited slip, I meant get the 9.25 parts from Dana.
That makes more sense.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:27 PM
PlorkZ
Amateur

I'm checking everything over before wrapping up and I noticed that I was not able to spin the rear tires freely with both of them in the air. Is this normal for the LSD to be tight with new clutches or is there something else that could be too tight and binding it up?

Old 06-23-2019, 12:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

With the trans in neutral, you should be able to turn the tires, and they both should turn in the same direction. Driveshaft will also turn. Yeah, it'll take some effort. But, trans in park, even with both rears off the ground, you should NOT be able to turn them by hand.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:48 PM
PlorkZ
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
With the trans in neutral, you should be able to turn the tires, and they both should turn in the same direction. Driveshaft will also turn. Yeah, it'll take some effort. But, trans in park, even with both rears off the ground, you should NOT be able to turn them by hand.
Thank you for confirming! I wasn’t sure whether the tires should spin in opposite directions on this differential with the trans in park. I can turn the tires in neutral 👍. Aside from a snag with rock auto mislabeling the axle bearing sizes I’m ready to button this thing up and do the break-in!

Old 06-10-2021, 12:33 AM
Whitetrash04derdge
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PlorkZ
Aside from a snag with rock auto mislabeling the axle bearing sizes I’m ready to button this thing up and do the break-in!
Hey I'm currently about to start this same project and I'm pre ordering all the parts before hand. How did you figure out your axle bearing size and c clip size? Or did you have to open it up and check?

Old 06-10-2021, 04:57 PM
PlorkZ
Amateur

Originally Posted by Whitetrash04derdge
Hey I'm currently about to start this same project and I'm pre ordering all the parts before hand. How did you figure out your axle bearing size and c clip size? Or did you have to open it up and check?
For the bearing sizes you can check with some different part suppliers such as summit racing, O'reilly auto, etc. From a few different sources I was able to determine that the Ram 1500 with RWD had larger diameter rear axle shafts, while the 4WD had smaller diameter shafts. I believe the difference was something like 1.69" or 1.7" bearing inner diameter for the RWD and 1.62" bearing inner diameter for the 4WD.

For the C-clips, if you're referring to the retainer clips on the inner end of the axle shafts that hold them in, I didn't replace those as they still had a good fit with no visible wear. I have seen a couple different thicknesses on those so you might have to determine whether or not to replace them and measure them when you get them out.

side note: I don't know if I had any pictures of the setup I used to tighten the yoke on the pinion but I'll see if I can dig anything up on that, it was fun trying to put 200ft lbs of torque on the pinion to crush the spacer between the inner and outer bearings.

The following users liked this post:
Whitetrash04derdge (06-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Rear diff identification, new bearings for 2006 Ram