3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram 4x4 Front Drive Shaft CV Joint

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 09:58 AM
GShock75
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ram 4x4 Front Drive Shaft CV Joint

My 2005 Dodge Ram 4x4 (4Dr, 5.7L, SLT, yada yada yada) had a horrible noise emanating from underneath, metal on metal grinding noise, which I was able to track down the the CV Joint on the Front Drive Shaft (Between the Transfer case and the front end) so I removed it as I read somewhere on these forums that is a very bad and possibly very expensive mistake to other drive train parts if it fails completely, so it is out of my truck, sitting on my workbench, rendering my 4x4 into a 4x2. I ordered a brand new lifetime warranty (like that's somehow important on a 15 year old truck, lol) complete shaft with all new parts on both sides for 265.00 shipped to my front door, but I also bought a "REBUILD KIT" for the old axle that I took out of my truck so that i could rebuild it and have a spare since there wasn't a core charge on the new axle.

My question is: How do you remove the spline housing, race and carriage from the drive shaft to actually rebuild it??? I can't find any information on this this at all, I find the rebuild kit everywhere, but how to actually rebuild the CV Joint on the old shaft evades me.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

I think there is just a kinda snap ring inside the CV joint, and if you whack it with a hammer a few times, it should come off. (don't have to pull the snap ring first, it just stays in place.)

Old 04-10-2019, 01:06 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Did you take the steel ***** out before taking this picture, or did they fall out while you were driving? That's about as bad of a CV joint as I've seen.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:53 PM
GShock75

Originally Posted by jrsick
Did you take the steel ***** out before taking this picture, or did they fall out while you were driving? That's about as bad of a CV joint as I've seen.
Actually yes, I took the ball bearings out in hopes that there was a way to remove the rest of the CV Unit.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:55 PM
GShock75

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think there is just a kinda snap ring inside the CV joint, and if you whack it with a hammer a few times, it should come off. (don't have to pull the snap ring first, it just stays in place.)
Thank you, I've got a couple of good sized hammers, I'll give it a shot.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:24 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

what do you get with a rebuild kit?

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram 4x4 Front Drive Shaft CV Joint