3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cyl 7 misfire code CEL CRAZY

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 07:56 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
IS there an actual PCV VALVE on these? I thought it was just a fixed orifice restriction in the vent line from valve cover, to the intake??
That's what I thought too

Old 04-12-2019, 07:57 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by 72rtchallenger
Definitely change the plugs , and wires an coils if you can afford to do so, I know thats not cheap, as I just replaced all mine also also run some sea foam thru oil an fuel and check pcv and make sure its not gummed up and stuck , , even one bad injector can cause some issue like misfire
There are no wires on mine, just the coil with 2 boots.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:47 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine is a 2004 ram slt hemi 4x4 , it has the plug wires but I think yours may be a newer style and maybe is different and yes there is a pcv its just different than they use to be , its a twist in style behind or to the side of the throttle body on my truck , looks like the picture , unsure if yours would have this but would think that it would be like mine in a 3 rd generation , and just like the old you shake it for rattle sound you can tell it if needs replaced you cant hear it rattle or like mine was slow movement not working properly and these are prone to get clogged or gummed up on these 5.7 engines ,

5.7L V-8
The 5.7L V-8 engine is equipped with a closed crankcase ventilation system and a Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve.

This system consists of:

a PCV valve mounted into the top of the intake manifold, located to the right / rear of the throttle body (LOCATION 5.7L PCV VALVE). The PCV valve is sealed to the intake manifold with 2 o-rings (5.7L PCV VALVE).
passages in the intake manifold.
tubes and hoses to connect the system components.

Last edited by 72rtchallenger; 04-13-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:39 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Did the tuneup. She runs like a raped ape now. Plugs looked very decent for over 100K on basic plugs. No major fowling, no burnt electrodes. They all looked very similar for each cylinder, only thing was cyl 7, that set the code, nothing visible, but could smell gas in them.

Thanks for the help, I was thinking the worst, just being I had ZERO time for my truck to be down.

Still curious why the light went psycho flashing and dinging at me, worse than my wife when she wants somethimg and is moody...over simple spark plugs.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The CEL flashing is telling you there is a misfire. The dinging is to get your attention. Not like a flashing YELLOW light in the dashboard is easy to miss.....

Glad is was an easy fix.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:02 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The CEL flashing is telling you there is a misfire. The dinging is to get your attention. Not like a flashing YELLOW light in the dashboard is easy to miss.....

Glad is was an easy fix.
I get that, but why does it think a misfire is so detrimental to warn about, but like, egr valve or coolant temp, etc it just turns on the light, no nagging.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
I get that, but why does it think a misfire is so detrimental to warn about, but like, egr valve or coolant temp, etc it just turns on the light, no nagging.
Because misfires have the potential to be severely damaging to various engine systems. PCM can compensate for EGR failures, and various other things. Misfires are a more immediate problem.

Quick Reply: Cyl 7 misfire code CEL CRAZY