Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

2005 Dodge Ram Transmission Won't Move In Any Gear

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Dodge Ram Transmission Won't Move In Any Gear

Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 PM
soalebm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge Ram Transmission Won't Move In Any Gear

Hey guys I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4X4 with a 5.7 Hemi with 160,000 miles. I was going down the road about a month ago and it suddenly acted as if it was in neutral. I coasted to a stop in a parking lot and tried going through the gears but it would not move. The RPMs change when shifted from neutral into drive but the truck will not move. The linkage is fine and the shifter indicator works normally. I towed it home and dropped the pan hoping to find a spring or clip floating around but nothing. The fluid looked good and there were very few shavings on the magnet. I read a lot of posts on here and other forums about this exact same issue being a simple filter replacement because the filters work loose and the pressure drops. So I replaced both filters, put new fluid in it and it still does the exact same thing.

I then replaced both Transmission Input Output Speed Sensors and the Transmission Oil Pressure Sensor but that did not help either. It is still doing the exact same thing. It will shift into park and it will go into neutral but besides the RPM change drive, 1st and 2nd gear are just like it is still in neutral. I still think it is a pressure issue but now I am leaning toward a torque converter problem. Let me know if anyone has any ideas! Thanks!

Old 06-13-2019, 08:42 AM
TrueDogman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No unusual noises when it first happened ? in my opinion you put alot of unnecessary parts and service into it so far without a proper diagnosis. But whats done is done.
Im gonna assume your differential is ok? The driveshaft isnt turning when you put the truck in gear?
Next is transfer case. Its not somehow in neutral position is it ? Will the truck stay stationary when in Park ?
Next would be transmission coupling to engine and transfer case.
I believe I have seen a post about a broken input shaft on the front of the transmission for one of these trucks

Old 06-13-2019, 09:28 AM
soalebm

No noise just the feel of the shift I was on a slight grade so when it kicked out of gear you could feel it but I heard nothing. Driveshaft is what I thought I broke right away but it is fine. The truck will go into park and stay there it will not roll. The thing that makes me think it is not stuck in a gear is the fact that the RPMs go up from neutral to drive like they would if you were just sitting there with your foot on the brake but the truck will not move. I have not really spent anything on it yet because it needed a filter and fluid change plus the sensors were only about $70 for all three. But from here it will get expensive. Shift solenoid in the valve body, Torque converter, etc. You can find about 30 other people online with the same problem and it seems like for most of them it is the filter coming loose but mine is new and I even dropped the pan again to make sure I got the o-ring back in right when I was under there doing my new sensors.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:58 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you get the old o-ring OUT? I've seen that happen before too.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:42 AM
soalebm

Yes I did remove the old one and carefully installed the new one because at the time I thought that was my problem. I have the 545rfe transmission in this truck does anyone know if there is a Governor Pressure Solenoid in the valve body or is it somewhere externally. I have tried to find a parts diagram on Mopar's website for this valve body but have been unable to find one. But I also cannot find a part number listed for one inside the Valve body but it sure looks like there is a solenoid of some sort in there under the top plug.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Ram Transmission Won't Move In Any Gear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: