Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

Vibration felt in rear of truck

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibration felt in rear of truck

Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 PM
sjwoody
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration felt in rear of truck

I have a 2002 Quad Cab 4.7L 4WD 6'3" bed Manual transmission that has a vibration issue I can't figure out. Here's what I know...Vibration begins around 65 MPH. It is always there, but the severity of the vibes goes up and down, and I can't find an obvious pattern as to why. I can go down a steep hill and put the truck in neutral, letting the engine idle, and the vibration remains at 65 mph or higher, so I don't suspect engine parts or flywheel. It isn't tires or wheels. I replaced the tires when I got the truck, because they were old and rotting in the sidewalls (good tread though). Anyway, the vibration continued with the new tires. I tried throwing on the wheels/tires from my 07 Durango (wrong size tire, but the wheels fit) and the vibration continued with the Durango set. The motor mounts seemed ok, but the transmission mount was replaced due to the rubber found dis-bonded from one of the plates. Tranny mount was no help. I had the (one piece) drive shaft balanced and both U-joints replaced along with the transfer case tail shaft bushing - no help! I understand the differential had been rebuilt due to a pinion bearing failure. The fluid looks good, but I get some gear noise occasionally, especially when exiting the freeway or coming to a stop. The noise isn't all that bad, but it's noticeable if you are listening for it. I took it to another very reputable drive line shop, and he told me he could re-work the drive line and charge me a lot of money, but it won't fix the problem. On a test drive, he drew on his experience to say that it feels like tires, wheels, or something that produced a slower up/down shake than a drive shaft would produce.There was doubt the differential or even transmission parts would cause the vibration at that frequency- plus it seems to me the gears don't have the mass and weight to produce the sometimes intolerable vibration I get. I even put new shocks on. It rides better, but the vibration is still there. About the only thing left that I can think of is maybe a bent axle shaft or something in the hub/brake rotor area. There is nothing felt in the front end at all. The steering wheel is rock solid and I also removed the front drive shaft for giggles. Turns out it doesn't rotate anyway in 2WD mode. I've also noted the shift lever slaps back and forth with the same severity as the felt vibration...I'm at a loss of where to go next. Any ideas???

Last edited by sjwoody; 07-11-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:17 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Disc brakes with internal drums for e-brake, right? Check the adjustment on the e-brake, I had one truck that wouldn't vibrate at all, till you had been driving for a bit.... the e-brake was adjusted too tight, and it would heat the drum/rotor feller to the point that it would warp, and the vibration would start...... stop to see what was up, and it would have enough time to cool, so, no vibration again for a little while....... That one was FUN to find.

If it is more consistent, I would be tempted to jack up the rear, and check the wheels/rotors for runout. Doesn't take a lot to make a horrid vibration... that would be consistent though..... you would get the same vibration at the same speed, each and every time.

It may be an axle bearing........ but, you should be able to feel that if you spin the tires by hand.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Alex Medeiros
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I'm reading I may not be helping much, but my father had a vibration only at 65+ MPH with his 02 equipped with the 4.7. Turned out to be his rim was a bit bent from being used on a car lift that was too small and that mainly caused the vibration on the highway at high speeds every time... I think I had a similiar issue on my truck before I sold it and it was also an 02 with the 4.7.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:04 PM
KDodge75
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tires and wheels were changed to a different set temporarily and the problem persisted from the OP.

I know you had the driveshaft balanced and u-joints replaced but have you tried a different driveshaft?

I'd test the runout of the axles first. Make sure the surfaces are good and clean. A little rust under there could cause things to be out enough to possibly cause a vibration.

I had a bad vibration in mine starting at about 40,000 miles. The right front hub assembly was bad. Replaced it and the problem was better but still vibrated. Turned out to be a bad tie rod end. Replaced it and it was perfectly smooth at all speeds. Still is at 180,000 miles.

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
mopar4u
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just went through a vibration that showed up around 65. i balanced tires, did ujoints to no fix. it was a front hub bearing assembly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibration felt in rear of truck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: