3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Complete Power Window Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 09:58 PM
FlynDodge
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Complete Power Window Failure

I have a 2006 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab standard bed with a complete power window failure issue. The issue started approximately two weeks ago with intermittent complete failure, but now the windows never work. Intermittent complete failure meaning that none of the window controls would work for any windows regardless of the position of the window locakout switch, then while driving, the windows would at some point start working again from any control. Now, none of the windows work from any controls. I have done a little research and pulled the driver main switch out and disconnected and reconnected the connectors there. I have also pressed in on the connectors while trying to activate the windows. I also used a voltmeter against the black wire and was able to get 11.45v at the Pink/Yellow wired pin and 12.3v on another, and then one is apparently VREF at 5.00v exactly. It seems to me that the windows have power, but I don't have the diagrams for a 2006, only a 2005. The wiring may be the same but the fuse box appears different. The Fuse #2 is labeled power windows and is good (checked fuse with VM). I also pushed in of the connectors down by the parking brake, but did nothing else down there. One of the connectors clicked, but the windows still don't work. The condition is important to fix, because the HVAC controls fail intermittently (but blower works) and sometimes we have no AC and no windows and it's 100+ deg F outside. Not fun. I will post separately for the AC issue, but mention it here because it could be related somehow at the TIPM.

Last edited by FlynDodge; 07-29-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Additional Diagnsotics
Old 07-30-2019, 02:33 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by FlynDodge
I have a 2006 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab standard bed with a complete power window failure issue. The issue started approximately two weeks ago with intermittent complete failure, but now the windows never work. Intermittent complete failure meaning that none of the window controls would work for any windows regardless of the position of the window locakout switch, then while driving, the windows would at some point start working again from any control. Now, none of the windows work from any controls. I have done a little research and pulled the driver main switch out and disconnected and reconnected the connectors there. I have also pressed in on the connectors while trying to activate the windows. I also used a voltmeter against the black wire and was able to get 11.45v at the Pink/Yellow wired pin and 12.3v on another, and then one is apparently VREF at 5.00v exactly. It seems to me that the windows have power, but I don't have the diagrams for a 2006, only a 2005. The wiring may be the same but the fuse box appears different. The Fuse #2 is labeled power windows and is good (checked fuse with VM). I also pushed in of the connectors down by the parking brake, but did nothing else down there. One of the connectors clicked, but the windows still don't work. The condition is important to fix, because the HVAC controls fail intermittently (but blower works) and sometimes we have no AC and no windows and it's 100+ deg F outside. Not fun. I will post separately for the AC issue, but mention it here because it could be related somehow at the TIPM.
Have you tried replacing the window switch in the front driver side? That may fix the problem and they are relatively inexpensive... I also linked a video that may help...

VIDEO:

Old 07-30-2019, 03:23 AM
FlynDodge
Amateur

After posting, I took mine apart. I then tested it without the cover on to see if it would work. It didn't, so I ordered a new one. Also, the capacitor was bulging a little, so that's not good. It's interesting to see that Dodge decided to dispense with solder altogether on the problem contacts.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:11 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

After posting, I took mine apart. I then tested it without the cover on to see if it would work. It didn't, so I ordered a new one. Also, the capacitor was bulging a little, so that's not good. It's interesting to see that Dodge decided to dispense with solder altogether on the problem contacts.
Let us know how it works out

Old 07-30-2019, 09:25 PM
FlynDodge
Amateur

I got my new switch and the windows still don't work. It is hard to beat $18 shipped for a new assembly, though. I guess it could be a broken wire, so I'll have to chase that down next.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:24 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

I got my new switch and the windows still don't work. It is hard to beat $18 shipped for a new assembly, though. I guess it could be a broken wire, so I'll have to chase that down next.
That's a bummer. My dad had the exact same issue on his 02, except the only window that worked was the driver's side... it was definently an issue with a wire like your vehicle...

Old 01-23-2020, 02:30 AM
FlynDodge
Amateur

For those who value closure, a remaufactured TIPM from Dorman resolved all of the symptoms. The HVAC works, the airbag light went out, and all of the windows now work. The windows switches also now light up. The cost of the module was $390 from Summit. It's trivial to install, but the poor quality connectors used on Chrysler/Dodge vehicles are always something to be really careful with. The only issue the I have with the Dorman part is that now the headlights illuminate when the unlock button is pressed on the key fob. Apparently, that can be reconfigured at the dealer. I don't think that the SnapOn Modis can change the setting.

The following users liked this post:
WanderingFool (02-19-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 08:34 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Thank you for updating your post. I appreciate it and Im sure others will also.

The following users liked this post:
WanderingFool (02-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Complete Power Window Failure