3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will not crank or stay running unless gas pedal pressed

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 10:11 PM
Mobius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will not crank or stay running unless gas pedal pressed

I have a 2008 Dodge ram 1500 megacab with 4.7 (flexfuel) has 211,000 miles on it.

Daily driver/work truck. Today I was driving everything was normal. Pulled to a stop light and the idle fluttered a little (did the same thing yesterday once and a few other times in the recent past) pulled into a neighborhood the truck started to run rough and stalled with the pedal depressed. I was able to get it to start a couple of times and stalled after a few seconds. I was able to pull in to the driveway. And there it sits. I got it to start and the engine would lope and each time it woild get closer to stall (like it was slowly dying) after stalling it would just crank no start. Almost like it was out of gas (has 1/4 tank) went to different forums ended up replacing the crankshaft position sensor. (No change) Replaced the fuel pump (no change) The battery had died while trying to diagnose it so there were not any codes on the obd. After replacing the fuel pump I started and was almost running normal but started it loping winding down to stall again. I can get it to crank by depressimg the pedal about 1/2 to 3/4 down and keep it running to keep 1000 rpms its pedal is juat over 1/2 way depressed. When its running (manually pumped to keep idle) the altenator ia charging 14.5 volt) had to jump start it a few times through the day. When revving it the "butterfly" on the throttle body only moves slightly less than 1/4" of movement (up to 4000 rpms). I have to order the throttle body so wanted to get ideas before throwing anymore money at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-15-2019, 10:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Clean the throttle body first. See if that helps at all.

Gonna move this to third gen ram section for ya as well. Welcome to DF!

Old 08-16-2019, 01:12 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would run a fuel pressure test at fuel rail , this will make sure its getting proper fuel pressure to TB , and as mentioned clean the TB first ,,, when I pressured checked my fuel rail I had good pressure but was able to determine that I had water in the fuel and truck wouldn't run good or at all until I flushed tank and got it pumped out of lines,

Old 08-16-2019, 02:45 PM
Mobius

I cleaned the throttle body (no change)
Cleaned the air flow sensor (no change)

Old 08-16-2019, 04:57 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When was the last time plugs an coils were checked ?

Old 08-17-2019, 12:00 AM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Have the battery tested, a weak battery will cause it to not idle right. I have worked on several Dodge and Jeep vehicles with that issue and it turned out to be a bad battery.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:27 PM
Mobius

Ok so I charged the battery had it checked. It was bad. Put in the new battery and the truck is cranking and running "better" BUT now it stalls randomly. I was able to drive it around the neighborhood (low speeds) finally gave me a code P0339 which is "Crankshaft position sensor A circuit intermittent" which was replaced earlier. Guess back to the store to try a differrent sensor. And some wire loom (the old just crumbled when touched. Maybe a wire is jumpping to ground??? Since the loom isnt there. I cant feel any breaks or melted spots on the wiring checked from sensor to top of motor

Old 08-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Mobius

And while driving the fuel system jumps from closed to open right before a stall.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

That my be an effect, rather than a cause. These trucks are notorious for not liking aftermarket sensors in critical locations though.... Might consider spring for a genuine mopar sensor.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:02 PM
Mobius

I switched brands of crankshaft sensor and it seems to be "leveled" out. Not sure if its back to 100% yet or not but going to take it for a drive tomorrow and see how it does. The fuel system stayed closed for the short drive 7 miles and no stalls😄😄. So maybe it was a battery issue all along (which kinda sucks tbh) never thought a weak battery on a running (charging) vehicle would/could cause that kind of havoc. Could see it not starting etc but screwing with all the sensors etc...

Quick Reply: Will not crank or stay running unless gas pedal pressed