3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rubbing rocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 09:11 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts
Default rubbing rocks?

So I pulled the front cover. Thought I was lucky, had a good reusable gasket on it. Then I examined the cover.... I'm pretty good with metal, but I think I'm just going to get another one that I can just clean and paint. I'll see if I can get a used one in the morning... Otherwise, this one is going back on, as is...

Old 08-16-2019, 09:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

That's actually pretty normal. It does hang out underneath the truck after all. I would be concerned about the rust getting into where the gasket should have been though.......

Old 08-16-2019, 10:26 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Worse than the pics show. Its not very flat. I'm surprised it sealed. There is a 9.25 front in the jyard, same one that donated the trackbar for the second gen project. I'll see if the cover is good in the morning... else I'll probably try to at least flatten this one out and get the fresh oil in it... but I won't spend time painting it up.

Last edited by fj5gtx; 08-17-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:44 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Jyard unit was worse than mine... will look into getting a new one later... wasn't a total waste of time, picked up some more bits for the power window conversion.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:35 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Decided to exercise my metal skills and get this thing finished up rather than wait a week for a new one to come in. I used a crescent wrench and worked my way around the lip to get it re-established. Then I planished the gasket mating area to flatten it out again. Still shows some damage on the lip, but I think it'll seal up just fine. Decided to bead blast it and paint it... calling it done.

I grabbed some 1/2 nylon tubing, about 6 inches, and shoved that over the gear oil nipple... the tubing worked well to get the fluid in there, as the center link was interfering with just using the bottle.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:14 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks awesome!

Old 08-20-2019, 09:24 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Decided to exercise my metal skills and get this thing finished up rather than wait a week for a new one to come in. I used a crescent wrench and worked my way around the lip to get it re-established. Then I planished the gasket mating area to flatten it out again. Still shows some damage on the lip, but I think it'll seal up just fine. Decided to bead blast it and paint it... calling it done.

I grabbed some 1/2 nylon tubing, about 6 inches, and shoved that over the gear oil nipple... the tubing worked well to get the fluid in there, as the center link was interfering with just using the bottle.

I like to paint them yellow with a smiley face painted upside down. Then again, I'm often considered rather odd.....er....eccentric.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:54 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I like to paint them yellow with a smiley face painted upside down. Then again, I'm often considered rather odd.....er....eccentric.
Hahahaha.... ok, but pics or it didn't happen

Hey, shocktober is just around the corner, what was I thinking just painting it matte black?

The following users liked this post:
Chet Ubetcha (08-26-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 02:39 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Hahahaha.... ok, but pics or it didn't happen

Hey, shocktober is just around the corner, what was I thinking just painting it matte black?

I can't scan the daguerreotype into my computer. Besides, the world was black and white then. Color copies would still be black and white since they are color photos of a black and white world. I also had to walk 3 miles to school, uphill, both ways dodging horse droppings all the way.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 08-20-2019 at 02:40 PM. Reason: I kant spel wurth a durn.

Quick Reply: rubbing rocks?