3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

slipping transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 03:48 PM
wouday
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slipping transmission

Hey there,

I am having a transmission issue also and would like your inputs:
My truck is a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel l6, I am not sure what type of trans I have, I read somewhere it might be a 48RE but I am not sure.
The issue is
1.- When I start the truck in the morning, and usually put it in reverse, it took sometimes or a big acceleration for it to start moving back
2.- When I put it on drive, it started moving forward and if I stop for a moment, it's like the transmission went to neutral by itself. An acceleration and it suddenly kick in without me personally shifting either to neutral or to drive, The truck was still on Drive.
3.- I realized when going up the hill on drive, whenever I am doing a left turn while going up, I have the same feeling that it went to neutral and kicked quickly in after revving the engine. It was like the rear drive was slipping on the road, but the tires are not really spinning. I only experience this situation when driving up and while turning left.
4.- When driving on the road (flat road) somewhere between changing between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th, I feel a latency before shifting and I have to rev the engine until almost 3000 rmns.

Is that a transmission issue or might it be differential? if it's transmission, what can I do to fix it?

Thanks for your input on this guys!!

Old 08-20-2019, 06:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Sounds like trans to me. Is your check engine lite on? How many miles on the trans? Last time it was serviced??

Old 08-21-2019, 02:18 PM
wouday
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have close to 200 000 miles. and it was serviced last year but I was supposed to change the filter but couldn't find it so far.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Filter is in the trans. Gotta drop the pan to see it. Wouldn't hurt to do a band adjustment as well. (not to mention installing a drain plug in the pan.....)

The following users liked this post:
wouday (08-26-2019)

Quick Reply: slipping transmission