3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 1500 died whilst driving.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 07:12 AM
ajgullery
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 1500 died whilst driving.

On the way to work, in traffic my truck shut down on me, i was able to make it off the road, now she wont refire.
Being I am stuck on the side of the road, i am linited in what I have with me.
Truck cranks and stumbles like its trying to start. No codes on the code reader. I checked for fuel preasure on the fuel rail, and I am getting a lot of air and some fuel out of the fuel rail. I have 3/4 tank of gas, fueled up last night and drove for an hour no issues.
What should I check next or any ideas as to the air/vapor in fuel rails?
06 Ram 1500 Mega Cab. 223000 miles.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:43 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

If you had a hole in the line somewhere, I'd think you'd only have a leak - not air getting in. Seems like the only way to get air in the line would be for the fuel pump to be placing it there. Pickup on pump? Pump is in the tank, not an easy thing to check.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:56 AM
ajgullery
Default More info

After pushing the valve in on the fuel rail to expell the air, i eventually ran out of preasure. Even cycling the key, and trying to start truck has not got me any preasure at the fuel rail. So its either no power to pump or pump is shot. I can't hear pump cycling due to too much traffic currently. Might be time to call a wrecker and get her taken home.
I have the slanted TIPM under the hood, not a regular fuse box style. Of course fuses are number with reference to manuel, which tells me the diagram is on the box lid, which tells me to check manual. So i dont know which fuse is the fuel pump one. Anyone know so I can check that?

Old 08-21-2019, 09:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by ajgullery
After pushing the valve in on the fuel rail to expell the air, i eventually ran out of preasure. Even cycling the key, and trying to start truck has not got me any preasure at the fuel rail. So its either no power to pump or pump is shot. I can't hear pump cycling due to too much traffic currently. Might be time to call a wrecker and get her taken home.
I have the slanted TIPM under the hood, not a regular fuse box style. Of course fuses are number with reference to manuel, which tells me the diagram is on the box lid, which tells me to check manual. So i dont know which fuse is the fuel pump one. Anyone know so I can check that?
From what I am finding, there isn't one...... Just the relay in the TIPM, which is a famous failure point.......

Old 08-21-2019, 09:32 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Assuming that turns out to be the problem, if I remember right, that relay costs like $3 from mouser.... if you're willing to take it apart and desolder the old relay and and solder the new one in... Else you're looking at the dealer for the whole box, or used from ebay, jyard, etc.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

I think there are kits available to simply bypass it using an external relay was well. (some soldering may also be required....) Easy to test though, run power back to the fuel pump, and see if the truck runs.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

try banging on the fuel tank with a mallet. if the fp brushes are worn...the jolt might shock it enough to get it running. you can move it to where you can work on it.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:18 AM
ajgullery
Default Waiting game

Thanks for the help guys. Waiting on the beast to be dropped off at home now so I can trouble shoot further.
Hoping its the pump and not the TIPM.
I am considering by passing the TIPM it i can find a ignition on fuse in this stupid fuse box. Haveing trouble finding a fuse diagram for whats in there.
But a multi meter will help me figure it out once its home.
If anyone has any other good ideas, i open to all suggestions. I am not good enough at solder8ng to replace the part on the curcuit board though.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:00 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

I like to do things right... but on my 2011 Minivan, I used a piggy back fuse to rig the fuel pump fuse hot until I got an appointment with a dealer.. I had a lifetime warranty on that one, so the dealer installed a new TIPM... .then conveniently didn't read the directions that told them to repin one of the connectors... That was the last warranty I bought, its just easier, faster, and cheaper to repair it on my own.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:33 PM
ajgullery
Default Fixed

Got the bed off, tested volrage at pump, had 12 volts so took the dive...$200 later for a new pump, she fired right up and revs hard. Currently bolting the bed back down and putting it back together so i can give it a test drive.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Quick Reply: 06 1500 died whilst driving.